- 61 -

"The upmost delicious food I have ever tasted! Y'all are great!" My girlfriend exasperated with a happy drunken smile which only had my family laughing along.

"Y'all." One of my cousins somewhat mocked and giggled innocently with a few others.

"Can tell I'm not from 'round here?" Y/N exaggerated and added a hint of a southern accent causing me to snort softly.

"What do y'all do in Texas anyway?" My uncle spoke with corona in hand and a fork in the other.

"Walk." She joked then shook her head, "Kidding, the humidity would kill you before the heat could." She shared as she took another big bite of the food that was on her plate.

"I mean, the town I used to live in is pretty small." She smiled a bit and shrugged, "Too small for me."

"City girl." One of my cousins spoke once more with a smirk and I saw her eyes wander over to me.

I had no idea what she was trying to hint at and quite frankly I didn't wanna understand.

"Ain't no Miami that's for sure." She quipped and took another sip of the beverage my mother made just for her.

To say the least... she was a lot more comfortable now. The one reign of power I did have under my belt was that she was sitting right next to me, so, if she decided to say anything that was off the wall a simple hidden grip could solve that mishap. It had almost happened a couple times within thirty minutes and luckily for me, even in her drunken state, she knew what it meant. For a little while it was just a group conversation about everyone's lives then somehow it just ended up on Y/N. Once again. She really was the special guest this year and I was absolutely loving the interest they had in her.

I then giggled to myself thinking back at what she's been saying, her vocabulary was almost entirely different in this state of mind. I sat back just a little to get a better look at my girlfriend just completely enjoying herself with my family. This was all that I wanted and I was glad she could finally see that it wasn't so bad after all.

"Okay, okay, so, you from a small Texas town and you end up in Portland of all places?" My auntie questioned and I bit my cheek knowing why she wanted to leave Texas all together.

"Well, my brother is a professor there actually and he kickstarted his mechanic shop on the outskirts of town. I could technically leave Texas all together and go to school and have a job... plus he's probably my favorite out of all the brothers I do have." She shared with a tight smile and ended up taking another deep gulp of her drink.

"How many siblings again?" My abuela questioned as she took a small bite of her food.

"Five." She answered and I suddenly heard a small uproar of people speaking over one another in their native tongue.

"Imagine popping six kids out."

"I thought I had a lot."

"We gotta do a family reunion! Expand this shit even more!" My uncle laughed deeply and I raised my eyebrows in unison with my girlfriend.

"I don't think y'all would want that now." She laughed into her drink and I couldn't help but chuckle at that one.

I rested my hand against her back as she leaned forward against the table and I smiled as she laughed at one of my dad's jokes.

"How big is that university?" Someone asked and I heard my parents sigh in distress causing me to giggle.

"It's the city!" My mom suddenly exasperated causing my girlfriend to throw her head back and laugh softly.