Chapter Sixty-one

Chapter Sixty-one

-

"Alex and I have something to tell you," Liz revealed as two out of three of her sons sit at the kitchen table eating their breakfast. One more hesitantly than the other.

Both boys look up at her, one already figuring what it was about and the other not.

"Which is?" Jack asked not knowing.

"They're engaged," Luke answered for them in a mumbly voice. He'd spent the whole night awake. Petrified of what was going to happen when his mother and Alex met Sid later on.

"You told Luke before me! How is that fair?" the middle son asked annoyed that they told Luke first.

"I never told him," his mother replied defensively. She then looked over to her fiance.

"Me neither," he held his hands up defensively, completely confused as to why the boy knew.

"Mum has a ring," Luke answered knowing they all wanted to know how he knew.

"It could have been an old one from dad," Jack said. "You can't always make accusations like that." The boy seemed a little annoyed and Liz was worried it was about their engagement.

"She took that off when she came to visit me I seen she had no rings. She has not ever since. It obvious," he shrugged simply. Scooping a spoonful of cereal and then dumping it back into the milk.

"Well yeah then, we're engaged!" she squealed excitedly, placing an arm around Alex's waist. While both adults were ecstatic, the two sons sat there. One with a monotone expression on his face and the other frowning.

"It's a bit too soon don't you think. You've only been together for two months," Jack pointed out thinking it was all too rushed.

"I know, but we have known each other since we were in the nursery. Trust me, I know I love your mother dearly," the grey haired man told the boy knowing he was incredibly difficult to impress.

"Still, I don't think it's right," he shrugged continuing to eat his cereal. Liz sighed, closing her eyes. She knew this was not going to go well. Ben took it fine and congratulated them. She expected Jack to be funny about it. However, she did not expect her youngest son to sit there quietly and look like he did not care.

"How do you feel about all of this Luke?" Alex asked knowing that his own opinion meant a lot to his mother.

"Congrats," he muttered to them not even looking up from where he stared at his lap. "If it makes you happy then go for it."

Liz smiled at his response but it still was not what he expected. Ever since she arrived home last night, something seemed off. Especially with both her sons. "What happened here last night?" she asked concerned.

Both boys took a small glimpse of each other. Luke begging Jack not to tell anyone what happened the previous night. As much as Jack wanted to tell them about the harm his little brother was causing to himself, he could not break his promise to the boy.

"I was playing FIFA and Luke was watching a film," Jack told them honestly. He just left out the long phone call and the tantrum Luke threw and the red marks lining his wrists.