27. Val

My body reacted faster than my mind, I hurried towards Val and wrapped her around my arms without questioning. Then Nikki appeared at Val's other side and mouthed quietly to me: "Emma"

"What did Emma do?" I asked out loud and suddenly regretted it when Val started sobbing harder.

"Fuck" Nikki said, and I knew it was directed towards me.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry" I said to everyone while I tried to gently contain Val's tears and sobs.

"Can we please get out of here? I brought Sofía like you asked me" Nikki said worriedly.

Val only nodded and allowed us to take her to Nikki's car, we got in and Nikki started driving towards what I knew was my house. My house was like our safe place, no parents, only us.

***

"How long has she been like this?" I asked Nikki.

Val has just fallen asleep, but we have spent at least 4 hours trying to get a word out of her, but nothing came out besides cries and sobs.

"On P.E she told us that today she was meeting Emma, but when the school day ended Emma never came. Then some random boy appeared, gave Val a letter and Val just started crying" Nikki said and then took a sip of water. "I know it was because of something Emma did, but I don't know what" Nikki added.

"Must be something big" I said sighing. "So how are things between you and Jeremiah by the way?" I asked wigging my eyebrows.

"Well...considering that today is our first day as an official couple, I would say that great" Nikki said beaming.

As any good friend would do, I started freaking out but like in a happy way.

"Nikki that's great! I'm really happy for you!" I said and reached to give her a hug. "Have you, you know, done it?" I asked maliciously.

Nikki blushed uncontrollably and that was more than enough to answer my question. "Oh yes, you have" I said and Nikki shoved me off.

"I hate you" Nikki said.

"You love me" I answered grinning.

I looked over at the clock and realized that it was already late, "You can go if you want, I'll talk with Val's parents to let them know she's staying here" I said.

"For real? You know that I'd like to stay but I have to study for a test tomorrow and all my supplies are at home, but if you want, I can go and get them-" Nikki started.

"Whoa, the rebel Nikki does worry about school, huh?" I said teasingly and Nikki rolled her eyes.

"Don't worry, we'll be fine. You go and study for your test, I'll call you if anything important happens" I said cutting her off.

"Ok but I'll make it up to you by taking care of drunken Val on next party" Nikki said getting serious.

"Deal" I said shaking her hand.

She smiled and visibly relaxed, then she crossed the distance between us to give me a hug, I walked her to the door and then saw her leave. I went back to the living room and there it was Val, crying was exhausting, I have the feeling that she is going to be asleep for a long time, maybe until tomorrow.

I went into my room, I got my phone out of my pocket and realized I had three messages from Brianna asking if I was alright. I smiled, this is not going slow at all.

But then I sighed suddenly remembering something, Brianna is not Val biggest fan. I'm sure she won't like the idea of Val staying over tonight, and the fact that it will just be Val and I made it worse. However, I can't hide it from her. We aren't doing anything wrong, and me trying to hide it is definitely making it wrong. Ugh.