Chapter 9

"Wait, no. That's not what I came here for" he quickly said, his arm still squeezed by the door, "Actually, could you please let me in?" he said, his voice now turning sincere, a wave of sudden concern washing over you as you nodded your head, letting him inside.

"Is everything okay though? Did something happen? Are our parents okay?" you asked panicking at his serious face expression, guiding him into the living room as he let out a silent huff. "Yeah, don't worry. They're having quite a good time actually" he said, walking over to the curtains, revealing your parents standing in the Heffleys living room dancing and shouting. "They're doing karaoke" he added chuckling, a relived smile covering your face now.

"Fuck" you cursed quietly, a small laugh escaping your mouth. "If you came here to escape their singing, I get that, they're terrible singers, I know" you added remembering you had a shitty singing voice just like your parents. "You can sleep over in the guest room if you want to" you added casually without any second thoughts, his usual smirk appearing on his face reminding you that you shouldn't have said that.

"Already wanting me to stay over, you're really not wasting any time" he said mockingly. "Shut it" you answered not even suprised by his comment anymore. "Also, if you don't mind, I would like to get dressed first" you added quickly still holding up the towel. "Make yourself at home. If you want anything, there's the kitchen, I'll be right back" you added pointing at the room before heading upstairs without waiting for his response.

In your room you changed into your pyjama already, not being in the mood to dress up once again, putting on your pink hello kitty pants and an oversized shirt, recreating Tom Holland's legendary outfit. You brushed your still wet hair before putting on a pair of woolly socks and going back downstairs, just to find Rodrick sitting on the couch holding your favorite book - Pride and Prejudice - in his hands.

Sitting down beside him, he closed the book, looking up at you, giving you a sweet smile. "Nice pjs" he said as you leaned back, returning his smile, a quiet "thanks" leaving your mouth. "So, is that yours?" he asked turning to the book, his eyes sparkling with curiosity.

"You really gotta put your nose everywhere, don't you?" you answered jocking, "But yes, it is. It's my favorite one actually" you added nodding as he gave it back to you, placing it in your hand, your fingers touching for a split second, sending an electric shiver through your body, him clearly noticing. "When I was younger, I've always wanted such a love story to happen to me" you continued trying to overplay what just happened.

"Why don't you anymore?" he asked raising his brows, looking genuinely interested. "Because it's unrealistic and I know exactly that this will never happen to me and that whole idea of love.." you stopped yourself searching for the right words, "it's just ridiculous" you added sighing, putting the book down next to you.

"Well, maybe there's just a better story awaiting you" he answered, his voice calm, his eyes suddenly avoiding yours at all costs as you nodded your head.

"Yeah, sure" you answered ironically getting the sudden urge to change the topic, this one feeling a little too intimate. "Anyways, why are you here?" you said quickly, his eyes flicking back up to yours.

"Uhm, yes" he started suddenly getting all shy, just like his mom when she invited you to dinner. "So, since you haven't eaten anything I brought you some chinese. I know you're vegetarian, so I've got yours without meat and a sprite" he said, your eyes growing wide open, each of his words getting faster. "I know it's nothing special but the other restaurants were closed already and that's the only thing I could get so...please eat" he finished, handing you a bag with the food leaving you speechless for a short moment.

"Oh, wow, okay. Thank you so much. I don't really know what to say, I really appreciate that" you answered eventually, being a nervous wreck by now. You weren't really used to people caring for you this much, I mean, you had friends, but usually you were the one pleasing them with small acts of kindness, rarely receiving any yourself.

"Just don't" he said quietly looking down, his cheeks turning pink. "I think I should keep going actually, school starts tomorrow and mom and dad think I'm asleep in my room right now so..." he started as you nodded your head.

"Yeah, sure let me just lead you to the door" you said giving him a small smile, still flustered by his kindness and genuine concern, standing up, leading him to the front door. But as you both approached it, you suddenly heard footsteps and quiet laughter coming from outside, setting you in complete panic.

"Shit" you whispered quietly turning to Rodrick, grabbing his wrist in order to stop him from leaving the house, since he must have overheard them coming. Turning around he gave you a confused look as you continued. "These are my parents Rodrick, they can't see you here" you added, panic now displaying in his eyes as well.

"You need to hide.."