36: Karma

Isabella

I look over at James and start laughing. "What's fucking funny Isabella?" He shouts.

I try holding in my laughter but I can't. I shake my head with a smile, "No, nothing."

James also starts tearing up. I sigh, "Don't cry now, the pain gets easier, I should know." I wipe his face. He moves his face away from me and I roll my eyes.

5 days later, both James and Damien were discharged. Their parents came to see them but they left last night.

Rose was also pronounced dead early in the morning. It sucks but it didn't affect me. Now that I think about it... when the fuck did she even come to New York?

I spent every day at the hospital with the teenager from the accident. I got to know him and he was such a sweet boy. I convinced Damien to let him stay with him until I figured everything out with James.

"I'll see you in a couple of weeks, babe!" I told Damien. He smiled at me and gave me a passionate kiss.

"Why weeks? Why can't you just come with me now?" He whined like a little boy.

"Damien! All within its own time!" I say seriously and he groans and walks to his car.

I planned to get a no strings attached divorce from James and to get full custody of Jackson. Of course, it was going to take a while. James doesn't know I'm going to leave him just yet.

I want to enjoy the power that I now have. He can't hurt me even if he wanted to. Meanwhile, I could repay him for everything he's done for me.

Let the games begin.

I made the boys breakfast and it took James a while to get down.

I finally decided to help him after watching him struggle for a while. I shoved him off his wheelchair letting it fall down the stairs, "oops, my bad" I giggled. I grabbed him by his arms dragging him down the steps. "Jeez you're heavy," I said. I knew he couldn't feel his ass hitting each step but it still bothered him.

When we got to the bottom of the stairs, I fixed the chair and left him on the ground walking towards the kitchen. "Isabella!" He shouted.

"James!" I mimicked his voice.

"Are you not going to help me?" I looked at him and made a face.

"Nope."

Jackson started giggling and pointing at James. "Daddy look funny!" He said.

I smiled laughing with him, "he does look funny doesn't he?"

By the time James got himself in his chair and over to the table, I and Jackson finished eating. I washed our plates and carried Jackson over to the couch to watch movies. I and Jackson are cuddling and giggling at the movie while James is at the table.

"Isabella?" He calls me.

"Yes, my sweet crippled man?" I tease him. I laugh a little to myself.

"My food is cold." He states.

"Well, maybe you should heat it," I reply. I hear him swear to himself.

I keep punishing him in a different way like this for about 2 weeks before making the big request. I walk into his office and see him pissed. "Hey James, I have a question." He looks at me irritated.

"What now Isabella? What more can you possibly do to punish me for my actions?" I laugh.

I scoff and lick my lips looking away from him. "You think this is a fair enough punishment James?" I ask him with a shout.

"YES ISABELLA! I CAN'T FUCKING DO ANYTHING AND ALL YOU'VE DONE IS MAKE FUN OF ME AND USE IT AGAINST ME!" He shouts with every bit of anger in him. I walk farther away from him.

"Yeah, well imagine enduring this but a million times worse for two and a half years! THEN, you can talk to me about pain!" I slam his door shut not even bothering to ask him what I came in there for.

I walk upstairs to Jackson's room and see he's still awake. "Hi, Mommy!" He says happily. I smile at him and walk over to him.

"Hi, Superman!" I hug him.

"Mommy you okay?" He asks me. I laugh and pull away from him.

"Yes baby I'm fine, but did you know? That you are the most important thing to ever happen to me?" I tickled him a bit. He giggles and pinches my cheeks.

It's a new habit of his, "You too mommy!" I tear up.

"Let's put you to bed now shall we?" He nods and I sing him his lullaby.

After he falls asleep I walk back down to James' office. "I'm just going to ask you this straight forward." He looks up at me tired. "Do you want to sign the divorce papers?" I ask. He laughs as if he's going to win this.

"No, I may be stuck immobilized, but you're still mine!" He says. I laugh.

"Okay." I don't bother to argue. I'm about to walk out but he makes a confused face.

"Okay?" He repeats. I look at him.

"Mhmm okay."

"That's it? No snarky reply or nothing?" I chuckled a little.

"James, I could just get a lawyer..." I say as if it wasn't obvious. He clenched his jaw.

And I walk out.

I wasn't going to get a lawyer. That was going to cause too much ruckus and confusion for Jackson. Jackson was already confused with his father's state right now as it is. He's going to be even more confused a week from now. James had absolutely no control over me anymore. Divorce or no divorce, I could leave him and take Jackson with me no questions asked.

But where's the fun in that?
———
✅Completed and Edited