16: It's Over

Isabella

Two hours have passed and I was finally called down to bring the men of today's meeting to the conference room. It was Mr.Gallen and his men again.

"Hello gentlemen, how was everyone's day today?" I put on a fake smile for them and they ate it up. They told me about their business and how they planned to advance with it in the future. I was honestly quite bored but it was a good five minute distraction.

As soon as the elevator doors opened, James Gallen says, "You should let me take you to dinner sometime." His hand rested behind my back but I shrugged away from his touch and politely declined.

He gave me an understanding smile and once I looked up I saw a pissed looking Damien.

"You sure do have a thing for my assistant don't you Mr.Gallen?" He chuckled.

"Well, she just rejected me so nothing to worry about here." They whole group of men just laughed together as they followed me inside. I just rolled my eyes and took my place next to Damien.

I took notes while they spoke for almost three hours. I have never wanted to go home from work as much as I do right now. I don't want to even be around Damien right now.

The meeting ended just thirty minutes before it was time for me to clock out and go home.

"Isabella, can we talk?" Damien asked while he walked into my office and closed the door behind me.

"What is there to talk about?" I sighed. "You have a wife and you lied about it for almost a year, you know it kind of makes sense why you never wanted me seriously."

"She isn't my wife anymore, I mean, we're still married but we split up. I left her."

I stood up and looked at him, "Why?"

"I caught her with my brother a year an a half ago so I left her without a word."

"Why is she here?"

"She wants a divorce so that she could marry my brother." He sighed and sat down. "She actually gave me the papers to sign about an hour before the meeting."

"Did you sign them?" I asked him and I was hoping his answer would be yes. That would be enough.

He hesitated. "Not yet, but I will."

"You had at least an hour to sign those papers and you didn't, so clearly there is still something there whether it's love or resent, I don't care but I am not going to stick around and wait for you to get over it."

Damien looks defeated. His lie was finally catching up to him and he didn't know how to fix this. Everything else was easy but not this.

"I can't lose you too." He whispered.

"Too?" I repeated. I stood up and grabbed my things. "We're done, whatever we were is over. Clock out one last time for me I won't be coming back to work here."

I left him there in my office. It felt like we barely talked. Like it was just the sound of static in that room. It hurt but I finally saw the truth. Why he never wanted me how I wanted him makes a lot more sense now.
———
✅Completed and Edited