1 | broken keys

🧸 IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER (PLEASE READ):

This story is a work of fiction. All characters are fictional and does not resemble the real person. Be aware that I rarely ever edit my work, so please excuse my mistakes.

🍓(THERE'S A SONG PLAYLIST!!! Just swipe the top picture:) I picked every song very carefully so that it would correlate with each chapter)

Also I want to mention that this story is the continuation/sequel to the 1st book 'EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES' <3

P.S. this story is much more mature and angsty than the 1st book, but I'll keep it appropriate of course!

©️ JD, 2020

- - -

Taehyun~

Taehyun~

"Why'd you two break up?"

"We couldn't resuscitate our relationship. We simply broke up because we needed to. It wasn't going to work out even if I wanted it to." I sighed while thinking about Suji, my ex-girlfriend. We broke up long ago, but I never really spoke up about it until now. Maybe I'm ready to move on.

"You didn't answer the question though... why? She wouldn't tell me either. I don't know what's up with you two." My cousin Yina shook her head.

"Right? Yina and I break up like every month, but we get back together every time. You're just giving each other space, right? Didn't you two break up during junior year as well?" Junhyuk made a point.

"Yeah, but that was because of something petty and immature. I don't see us being together again anytime soon... one of us might just end up getting hurt. We're saving ourselves from heartbreak." I kicked the small rocks blocking my way.

"You're already heartbroken though, so did you really save anything?" Junhyuk scoffed. He's not completely wrong.

I'm trying to save Suji some face, so I'd rather stay quiet. She's too busy with her business and schooling anyways, that at one point I was the only one trying in our relationship. It got really tiring... we often bickered, and the love we had just started to slowly fade away. Maybe being together made us hate each other, and things we did together began to feel like chores.

It was even more tough since both of us attended different schools, so we decided to live together in an apartment within the middle of the city. Commuting took up most of our days, lessening the time available to spend together. The separation made us realize that we're fine on our own.

I don't know how to explain that to Yina and Junhyuk, or if they would even understand.

"Do you wanna drink?" They asked and I nodded wilingly. We soon arrived at a local pub, which was already filled with many people in their twenties.

"Wow, this place must be popular!" Yina exclaimed and the person behind us whispered something.

"They have a really good singer here, so people usually come to get a glimpse of her!" The person explained and we began to get quite excited.

I ordered some regular beer, along with fried chicken for the perfect pairing. I don't want to get wasted, so I took my time and just sipped small amounts of the cold drink.

Some girl suddenly stepped onto the small stage and everyone began to cheer. She's pretty clumsy to begin with, slipping over the cords and badly tuning her bass guitar. As a music student, it was both frustrating but funny to watch.

"Sorry for the wait! It might take a little while because my pianist couldn't come today... I'll just have to improvise." She was a little flustered, but I couldn't say she was shy. In fact, obliviousness could be one of her charms.

"Help her! You play so well." Junhyuk patted my shoulders and I sighed. I produce music on a daily because it's one of my courses, right now is my only free time.

Whatever, I thought to myself. She might not show it physically, but she's probably panicking right now.

"Do you need help? I can play the piano for you." I quietly asked, and I swear her eyes lit up.

"That would be great! Thank you so much," she extended her arms out and I shook it. "I'm Kim Dabin."

"Kang Taehyun." I smiled and sat myself on the pianist's chair. I looked at the title of the songs, relieved that they're mostly ones that I'm familiar with.

"I will be singing a slower song to start off today's setlist but throw in some fun songs here and there. Just sit back and relax!" She winked at me, and I assumed that's the que for us to start.

Her voice is incredibly beautiful, and matches so well with the piano. As much as I didn't want my emotions to consume me, I started to think of Suji because of the relatable lyrics.

Junhyuk was right, my heart is still broken.

My eyesight became blurry, and only then did I come to realize that I have tears on my cheeks and on the piano keys. Maybe it was Dabin's singing that moved me, or whether the note I pressed had a sad tone to it. Whichever one, I'm in pain.

It's not that I need to move on soon, but more so I should. I can't live like this.

After the sudden gig, I got a bit of unexpected compensation which is always nice. I thanked her and she complimented my musicality.

We talked for a bit, or maybe a lot. I lost track of time because our conversation was so interesting. I found out that we both go to the same school, and even in the same department. I can't seem to recall her, but maybe it's because I'm always looking down.

"We should play more together." She slipped me her number and I agreed.

"I'd love that."

__________________________

In relation to the MAGIC MV coming out an hour ago, I decided today is the perfect day to release this story!!! Hopefully y'all will like it^_^ 🍓

Song: TOMORROW X TOGETHER (투모로우바이투게더) — Anti-Romantic