"Maybe."

Takahashi, although tired, was willing to visit the ashes of the former Todoroki palace. The doctor said he would be fine, as long as he didn't try to over-exert himself. He's still groggy from the painkillers.

His right arm is gone from about one-fourth down. The doctor said that they left a stub in case Takahashi wanted a prosthetic arm someday, or whatever the modern tech would allow. Apparently, Takahashi told the doctor he didn't plan on getting one.

The carriage stops, jolting everyone inside. You look out of the window, the remnants of the palace staring back at you. Ashes. Charred frames and trees.

Your past, burnt and gone.

You climb out, Shoto helping you down. He then helps Takahashi, who isn't wearing a shirt since the bandages wouldn't allow. You can see the goosebumps on his skin, although the air is warm and humid.

Two guards are also with you for safety, although you doubt anyone would go near the old palace. It is a beacon of the kingdom's weakness.

You walk with Takahashi and Shoto, of which neither say a word. When you reach the pile of ash, you tug on Shoto's sleeve, signaling him to stay with you.

You both leave Takahashi alone, but you stay close behind him, not saying a word. The former guard sifts through the ashes, as if looking for something.

"This was your room, correct?" Takahashi asks softly, pointing to an area. You nod, looking away.

It doesn't feel real, still. But it's like the world is forcing you to realize how much is gone now.

Takahashi's arm. The palace. Hiro's eyesight. The three guards who died in the fire.

Hitoka. You don't want to think about her.

After Hiro described the other body he saw when he saved Takahashi, you immediately knew who it was. To this day, you don't know why she was there. Maybe you don't want to know. But she's dead now, and you don't have the guts to ask Takahashi why he was with her when she died.

Takahashi digs with one arm, until he pulls a box from the ashes.

You walk over to him, tilting your head. "What's that?"

He hands it to you, and you wipe off the dirt and ash from the surface. Recognition hits you like an arrow, and you gasp.

"The secret compartment?" You marvel. "It was fireproof?"

Takahashi smiles. "I'm glad I was able to find it."

You look at him quizzically. "How'd you know about it in the first place?"

"Because," he explains, sadness in his eyes, "that was Queen Rei's old room."

You open the box, Shoto standing curiously beside you. It pops open, just as you remember, and the contents stare you in the face.

Old pages you ripped from the quirk marriage book . . .

. . . and Hitoka's diary.

A/N:

Thank you for reading! Please leave a vote if you enjoyed!

I want to show you all this drawing I made of Takahashi, after his arm was amputated. It's not as detailed as I would have liked it to be, and I wanted to add the ashes of the palace in front of him, but I drew it during class so I didn't have much time. Hope you like it anyways!

You guys will never get the pleasure of seeing the front--

just kidding. maybe someday.

Lots of love,

Carly