Part 78 - A Hole in The Heart

The shattering of a heart when being broken is the loudest quiet ever

- Carroll Bryant

*******

"What made you come here, Mrs. Jeon?"

"Appa," Hana gasped, looking at the tall silhouette in the dark hallway. She didn't expect him to be in the house as she certainly remembers her mother telling her he was out of the city. A wave of fear and shock hit her on seeing him walking into the dim-lighted area. She held her tummy covering in her baggy clothes instinctively on seeing his darkened face.

"You were secretly visiting this house, weren't you?" He asked in a serious tone, his eyes fixated on the trembling soul. She didn't dare to look into his eyes. She was brave in his absence but being questioned in an icy environment, she was not able to gather an ounce of courage.

"You married that asshole of your husband, insulting your father and your family. And you dare to step into my house again? What right do you have?" He snarled at her, making her flinch at his sudden rise in tone. Her eyes started to fill with tears, remembering her past and sweat started to trail down her temples as she held the handrail for support.

"He is not an asshole, Appa. You are just filled with vengeance and hatred that you are not able to see the good in him. And I married someone I love. I just wanted to happy, can't I?" Hana spoke between her light sobs as she gripped tightly over the rail. She didn't want to cry but she was unable to stop herself from breaking down. 

"Happy? I was the one who grew you up. I was the one who made you study whatever shit you wanted. I thought about your happiness and that's why I set you up with Baekhyun because he is a nice lad. But you are happier by getting married to someone wealthier and powerful and throwing an insult to me," he spat at her and she whimpered at his words. It hurt her heart to find her father so narrow-minded over her choices and life.

"You brought me into this world. I wasn't given a choice to select my parents but you wanted a child and I must have been the one. Growing up should be your responsibility and not something I should be grateful for," she mouthed, letting out a sob while he stood still at his place.

"Study whatever shit? I studied hard to impress you, Appa. I always wanted you to care for me and shower affection to me just like you do to Kyunghee. What mistake did I do to receive that treatment since childhood? Why am I treated so unfairly? I always wondered if I was adopted but I knew I am not, though it killed me to see you treat me so differently," Hana confronted him, letting out all her emotions from the bottom of her heart. She couldn't keep it inside anymore.

"How dare you speak like that to your father?" He snapped at her.

"Then treat me like a daughter," She yelled, holding her stomach, making him flinch at her sudden rise in voice. Seeing her standing up for herself is something unusual to Mr. Do. He can't see her total figure in the dark but he can see her face, screaming anger, and despair.