CHAPTER 17

Chapter 17
When Things Fall Apart

×

*Catherine's POV

It's been around two to three weeks since I bought Evelyn from the auction house.

I wasn't sure if my plan would work, but I can already start to see some changes in my sister.

At first, I just really wanted to try and bring some humanity back into my sister, but now I also want to take care of Evelyn.

She's so young and has already been through so much. I have this feeling like I need to protect her. She's so innocent and sweet.

While Valentina has been away on business, I've been spending a lot of time with Evelyn. Sometimes I forget what I am and what the world is like for a minute. She makes me feel human.

-

I'm on my way to the library. Evelyn has been spending a lot of time there. She's so invested in trying to learn how to read. She's made great progress.

I think my sister should be home soon. I'm curious to know how her trip went.

I approach the doors of the library and already felt like something is wrong.

As soon as I open the door, I listen to all the little noises around me and hear a mumbled sound coming from the second floor.

"Evelyn, are you okay?" I don't see or hear her, so I quickly use my speed to get to the sound.

My eyes turn a blood red color from what I saw. My fangs grew out all the way.

Elijah was on top of Evelyn with his fangs in her neck. Her clothes were ripped and she had tears falling from her eyes. Elijah had his pants down and was about to rape her. It was a horrifying sight.

Thankfully, I was able to rip him away from her before he could have his way.

He fell down on the ground, Evelyn's blood spread across his mouth. I protectively stood in front of her and towered over him, baring my teeth.

"You are absolutely disgusting. I will make sure you get a slow death by my sister's hand. It's against vampire law to feed from somebody else's slave." I could hear Evelyn continue to cry and scream out. It's painful if fangs get ripped out of you with force.

"She is just like all those other slave whores. Why do you care so much?" He said, before trying to get away. I quickly grabbed him by his shirt, thew him against a bookshelf and got up close to his face.

"She's my sister's" I smashed his head back against the bookshelf and then punched him, using my vampire strength. I'm much older then he is, so he was easily knocked out.

Then made my way back to Evelyn. She was still freaking out. These must be something else wrong.

"Evelyn, calm down honey. It's me, you're safe now." She wouldn't calm down and was mumbling some words.

Hearing some of the words she said, I realized she was probably having a flashback and didn't know what was real. I picked her up with some difficulty and sped to Valentinas room.

Laying her on the bed, I grabbed a blanket to cover her. "You have to calm down for me little one." I didn't know what to do, I was starting to get really worried. I wrapped her in my arms and hugged her close against me.

"Shh, it's okay baby." I was getting slightly emotional. Seeing her like this made me want to hunt down her old master and kill him for traumatizing her like this.

Just when I was starting to give up, the door to the bedroom slammed open. My sister was standing in the doorway with her obsidian black eyes.

"What is happening to my pet." She hissed through her fangs.

"I'll tell you later. Please help her sister. She is experiencing flashbacks. I don't know how to get her out of it." Valentina let out a low growl and got on the bed.

"It's okay my pet, your master is home. Shh, calm now." Evelyn seemed to calm down a little at the dominant voice but was still out of it.

After some more tries, Valentina decided to use her compulsion on her. She is the only one with that ability, just like her having the black eyes. It's because she is queen.

"Be still." She commanded, looking deep in Evelyn's eyes.

Thankfully she finally started to calm down. I let out a relieved breath.

"Thank the gods. I was getting really worried." I softly kissed Evelyn's head and left the room, letting Valentina have some alone time with her.

I'll leave Elijah be, deciding to let Valentina take care of him once she has the chance. And trust me, that will be soon.

"It's good to have you back sister."

____________________

*Valentina's POV

I'm finally back from my trip. I had some talks with Issabell. We catched up and discussed some strategies to find out more about these rogue vampires.

I also interrogated one of the vampires but didn't get very far. He was really stubborn and managed to kill himself a couple days into the interrogation. Unfortunately he hadn't let go of any useful details.

When I was away, I had also thought a lot about my pet. She is like a little worm, making it's way into my un-beating heart.

I'm going to spend some more time with her and ask some more information about her. Hopefully she'll tell me some things.

Seeing my pet laying on my bed in that awful condition, I actually got a bit worried. I will find out who did this and when I do, it will not be pretty.

I had made her calm down, using my compulsion. I don't really use that ability a lot. Only for emergencies. I don't want to look like someone who only relies on her gifts. I want to do things myself.

But this was an emergency.

My sister left and I was now on my bed with my human in my arms. She was warm and had her eyes closed from exhaustion.

Then I noticed the bite mark on her neck. Whoever had the guts to feed from my slave is about to have no guts at all. Literally.

Before I had the chance to track down Catherine to have her tell me what the hell happened, my pet's eyes fluttered open.

"Hello my pet. How are you feeling?" She seemed a bit confused and out of place, but then her eyes landed on my still black colored ones.

"Master." She softly called out. A tiny smile placed itself on my face.

"Yes it's me, I'm back." She surprised me by wrapping her arms around my waist. I just sat still. Not being used to such affection.

"I thought he was going to kill me." She said while getting water-eyed.

"Shh, you're safe now. My sister got to you on time. I'm back now and I am not leaving your side again." I moved my hand through her hair, knowing she enjoys the feeling.

"How about a bath?" I asked her. She just closed her eyes again and nodded her head.