CHAPTER 15

Chapter 15
Recovering With Help

×

*Evelyn's POV

I groaned, waking up and feeling my sore body. It still hurt so much. My memory was vague but I remember miss Catherine entering the room a little while after my master left.

I was laying flat on my belly on the bed. I couldn't bring myself to move. I felt disgusting. I was sweating, had tears stains all across my face and my butt and legs were covered in blood.

I don't know how much time passed before the door opened again. I heard a gasp and turned my head to see miss Catherine walking up to me.

"Oh sister... What did you do?" She mumbled to herself but i still managed to hear her. She picked up the bloody whip and put it away somewhere out of sight.

"Hey little one. I know this is going to hurt but I need to clean your wounds okay? Can you be strong for me for a minute?" I didn't have any energy in my to speak so I just nodded.

She softly ran her hand through my hair to try and calm me down before she went to grab some things for my wounds.

"I'm just going to clean up the blood and then see if the marks need stitches." She announced before doing what she said.

She wiped away the blood that had fallen to the sides and the back of my legs. Luckily they didn't need stitches. She placed an ice pack on my butt and grabbed a little wet towel before sitting next to me on the bed.

"Good girl Evelyn." She said as she patted my forehead with the towel. I was thankfull for the coldness of it. She also wiped my tear stains and sweat away.

"Let's just put on a shirt and then you can get some rest." She put an oversized shirt on me with some difficulty and then layed down, bringing me on top of her.

"Okay, close those pretty eyes for me." She gently said and held me close. Feeling save, my eyelids dropped and I went to sleep.

I looked around to see it was already dark outside. Did I sleep the whole day? I tried to get up but gave up after multiple tries.

"Good evening, I guess. How are you feeling? You've been out for a while." I heard a voice say and looked up to see miss Catherine coming from the bathroom.

"It hurts, but a little better then before."

"That's good. I'll put some cream on the wounds to help the healing process." She grabbed the cream and started applying it to the wounds.

"Thank you miss Catherine." She looked up with a kind smile.

"You're welcome. But just call me Catherine when we're alone. I'm not really in favor of those formalities."

"Okay."

"Where is my master? Is she still angry with me?" Her smile suddenly disappeared and I began to get anxious.

"She's not angry with you, she knows you were just trying to help your friend. But some business came up and she had to leave. It might take around ten days."

Okay, I don't really know how to feel about that. Normally I would be delighted that my master was gone. But for some reason I felt a little sad. She just left me without saying anything after she punished me. I guess she doesn't really care about my well-being. But then again, which master does? They just want easy access to fresh blood from the vein.

"She will come back, don't worry. I think she also needed some alone time to clear her mind."

"Why?" She sighed and stood up from the bed.

"I'm not completely sure, but just know that you are changing her in some way." I furrowed my brows at that but decided not to ask anymore questions.

"Is there something you would like to do? I know you can't do much but is there something you can think of?" I was surprised that she gave me a choice like this. Being able to choose something, it doesn't often happen.

I started thinking about some activities that wouldn't require much strength, when my eyes landed on the bookshelf in the corner of the room.

"Could we maybe read a book?" She looked at the bookshelf and walked closer to it.

"What would you like to read?" She asked while looking through the different sorts of books.

"You pick please." I don't know if she knows I can't read. I had assumed the queen had told her but I guess not. Now I'm going to have to explain my stupidity.

She took a book from the shelf and placed herself on the bed next to me.

"Are you comfortable?"

"Could I maybe lay underneath the covers? I'm a bit cold." She nodded her head and gently moved me underneath the sheets. If I didn't move to much, it would be fine.

"There. Now lay your head on my stomach, that way you can read with me." She also moved underneath the sheets and placed me against her side. I hesitantly placed my head on her lower stomach and moved a bit on my side so I could see the book in her hand better.

After some groaning and adjusting, we were finally comfortable. She opened the book and started reading. She told me it was a mystery book. I just relaxed and listened to her calming voice.

"You want to read for a bit?" She asked me after a while. I shook my head maybe a bit too fast and she looked at me for a bit. I looked down because of her intruding gaze.

"You don't know how to read do you?" She softly asked me. I just shook my head and she sighed, wrapping an arm around me.

"How did you know?" I asked her quietly.

"Well, for one, your heartbeat had been going really fast and I knew it's not because you're scared of me. And then I realized you probably never had a change to learn before."

"My old master never let me have any fun. The only things I learned from him were how to clean things and do things for him. And even that was somehow never right."

She squeezed me tighter against her and moved her hand through my hair to calm me down.

"It's okay, I can teach you how to read." My head shot up at that. And I looked at her surprised.

"Really?" She smiled a bit and nodded her head.

"Of course, we'll have more than enough time these next few days while my sister is away."

She continued reading and would teach me some words I had never heard of before. I was excited to finally learn how to read. I know my master wanted to teach me too, but I'm going to try really hard these next few days. That way I can show her what I learned and hopefully she'll be proud of me.

Let me know what you think of the story so far! Would love to hear your thoughts and don't forget to vote.

Thank you for reading <3