Chapter 47

Tom tapped the ash off his cigarette into the water of the Black Lake, watching the smoke pour out of Eve's mouth as she faced the sky, her whiskey eyes staring at the clouds. He watched her as she closed her eyes, smiling as she breathed deeply, her chest rising.

"You're beautiful Eve", Tom said, throwing the cigarette butt into the lake. She slowly lowered her head, her eyes staring into his.

"So are you Tom" she muttered, crawling towards him on all fours. She laid down beside him, laying her head into his lap. He sat on the deck, stroking her softly as he looked out onto the surface of the deep lake.

"Sweetheart", Tom began. "Your birthday is in a few weeks".

"Mhm", Eve hummed, drawing circles into the fabric of Tom's trousers.

"What do you want, my little girl?" he asked, yanking her hair softly so he could get her to look at him.

"Anything is perfect", she replied.

Tom smiled as he watched Eve lay her head back onto his lap, his hands remaining in her hair as he slowly stroked it, watching how she closed her eyes, falling into a restful trance. He looked up at the sky, clouds slowly passing by them.

"Riddle".

The familiar voice rang through Eve's ears, her hand tightening its grip on the fabric of Tom's trousers as she heard the footsteps near them.

"Valmont", Tom responded dryly.

"I need to speak to Noir alone", Judas spoke, the wind rustling through his blond hair. Tom immediately felt anger fill his head as he protectively held Eve.

"She refuses to speak to you", Tom spat, glaring at Judas. He continued to stroke Eve's hair, feeling her grip tightening. His hand moved to her hand that held the fabric of his pants, rubbing her thumb to calm her down.

"She didn't even say anything!" Judas retorted. "Can I just ask her something?"

"No".

Judas glared at Tom, huffing hardly as he walked off, turning his head once more to stare at Eve, whose back faced him. Tom watched his figure disappear into the thick fog towards Hogwarts, feeling at peace again.

"He's gone, love", Tom spoke softly. Eve propped herself up on her arms, staring at Tom. She smiled wryly at him, placing a kiss on his cheek before sitting up, his hand holding her's.

"You're quite protective", Eve remarked, tracing the lines on Tom's hand with her finger. She felt her stomach blush as she noticed the ring on his finger.

The ring they found in her father's box.

She looked down at the identical ring on her finger, the ring Tom gave laying on her other finger.

"Only for you", Tom said. He stared out to the lake, the wind flowing through his hair. Closing his eyes, he deeply inhaled the fresh cold air that hit him like a knife.

"Eve".

"Hm?"

"May I tell you something?"

"Of course Tom".

The boy deeply exhaled, opening his eyes as he stared at Eve, who was busy staring at his hand that was held by her. He felt at peace as he stared at her, tranquility blurring every single awful thing that filled his mind to the brim.

"I've developed the need to protect you from the dangerous things", Tom began. "I can't lose you. Not now. Not ever".

Eve looked up at Tom, her lips parted lightly as she took in Tom's words, her mind clouding with ecstasy. A smile formed with her lips as she crawled towards Tom, their lips mere inches apart.