Chapter 30

Six days had passed since the Christmas party and it happened to be New Year's Eve. It was also Tom's birthday.

Eve stood in the kitchen, her eyes scanning a book as she measured some powdered sugar into a mixture to create chocolate frosting. She stirred it, watching the white powder disappearing into the brown mixture. The cake was sitting on the counter, chilling so the frosting wouldn't melt off.

"Darling what are yo-" Tom began as he entered the kitchen. Eve rapidly whipped around, trying to hide the evidence of a birthday cake disaster.

"Tom don't come in here!" Eve pleaded as he walked towards her, a smirk appearing on his face.

"Princess I know what you're doing and you didn't have to", he said as he laid a kiss on her forehead. "You've got chocolate on your forehead".

She scrunched her nose as she felt her forehead, feeling the thick frosting. Eve groaned as she wiped it off with a cloth, Tom wandering around.

"Happy birthday by the way", Eve smiled as she walked over to Tom, kissing him on his lips. She felt him smile as she pulled away, his arms wrapped around her waist.

"Thank you sweetheart", he replied. "I can help you with the cake if you'd like".

"But it's your birthday and I don't want you to hel-"

"Darling please".

Eve stared at him, moving away as she watched how he gently frosted the cake, a bit of frosting touching his hands. Eve began to help out by topping the cake off with a few raspberries, Tom chuckling a bit.

"You're so beautiful when you're concentrating on something", Tom whispered as he finished frosting the cake.

"Good afternoon, you two", Cordelia said as she entered the kitchen. She was wearing a robe, her hair messily made as it was obvious she had just woken up.

"Hello mum", Eve greeted as she added the last raspberry, backing up to see how the chocolate cake looked.

"What's the occasion?" Cordelia asked as she began to boil water for tea.

"Tom's birthday", Eve replied as she stared at the cake. Tom watched Eve as she tapped her chin, thinking of other ways to decorate the cake.

"Oh my, happy birthday dear", Cordelia smiled as she poured hot water in a cup. "How old are you today?"

"Seventeen", he replied as he brushed his dark curls with his slender fingers.

"Ah you're a bit older than Evie", Cordelia remarked as she sipped her tea. "She turned sixteen on Halloween".

"I heard", Tom smiled as he turned to Eve, who was pouring hot lemon tea into two cups.

"Well I'm going to be in the library if you both need anything", Cordelia said, leaving the kitchen. "Also happy birthday Tom".

"Thank you Ms. Noir", Tom replied as he felt a nudge on his right arm. He turned to see Eve smiling at him, holding a knife.

"Let's cut it?" she asked as she held the knife to the cake, waiting for Tom to respond.

However Tom was stuck in a completely different trance. He imagined the cake as a human, waiting for Eve to stab the human, watching the life drain out of their eyes.

"Tom?" Eve asked.

He immediately snapped out of his trance, smiling at her.

"Of course darling".

Abraxas entered his room, surprised as to why to why to was so dark. He walked over to his window, opening the curtains. As he turned around, he felt as though he were going to puke.