Chapter 24

"Mum we're going out for a walk!" Eve hollered as she and Tom left the estate. The air was ice cold, the sharp wind running through Eve's hair. She felt herself place her hands under her arms as a way to keep warmth. Tom placed his arm around Eve, pulling her closer. The cold air caused their breaths to come out as thin smoke.

"Do you think Headmaster Dippet knows about the forbidden book?" Eve asked out of the blue. Tom stared ahead, not thinking much.

"Maybe", he replied. "Or maybe not".

It had been days since they first arrived back home and they both had explored every part of the estate. Eve was walking through the woods behind her home, the energy all of a sudden shooting through them both. They both gasped, as they were not expecting that. The fog was thick, enclosing the teenagers in its cold embrace.

"Was my mum worried about my whereabouts on day one?" Eve asked, her voice slightly quivering due to the cold atmosphere.

"No", Tom replied as he grabbed onto Eve tightly, causing her to yelp out in pain. He snapped his gaze towards her, staring at her intently.

"Did you hear that?" Tom whispered, his dark eyes boring into the girl's eyes.

"Hear what?" Eve asked, now in a panic. She swore she didn't hear anything due to Tom grabbing onto to her so sharply but now that they were quiet, the forest seemed to have some strange energy, wrapping Tom and Eve up in its dark presence.

"Okay Evie, when I say run, we run", Tom said, his grip tightening on her arm. Eve looked up at him.

"You're following me then because I know this place somewhat well", Eve responded sharply.

"Don't ever use that tone with me", Tom commanded. He stared down at her, the red glint appearing in his eyes. Eve felt fear for the first time with Tom, her heart about to jump out of her chest.

"Tom, can you loosen your grip on me?" Eve quietly begged, her eyes filled with pure fear.

"No".

"Tom please".

"I said no!"

"Tom can you lis-"

"Eve go!" Tom hissed as he pushed her. She began to run, Tom gripping her arm even harder than before. What the fuck are we running from? thought Eve as she continued to run, her breathing becoming more unstable.

Tom noticed a black sharp rod fence coming up ahead. He hoped that Eve knew how to jump a fence.

Eve was beyond exhausted, her eyes spotting the fence to the cemetery. The energy was beyond the word bursting as they approached the cemetery. Eve jumped onto the fence, managing to make it over. She jumped, falling onto her left arm, a sharp pain shooting up. Eve groaned in pain as Tom jumped down next to her.

"Are you alright darling?" Tom asked, worry spreading on his face. She looked up, anger filling up her eyes.

"What the fuck", Eve hissed. "What the fuck was that?"

"Darling I-"

"Tom what the fuck were we running from!" Eve bellowed. She glared up at him, standing up.

"Something felt off Eve", Tom stuttered. The sharp pain in Eve's arm was slowly going away but the pain seared through her body when she moved her arm.

"What the fuck are you talking about?" Eve replied angrily. The energy they felt together had gotten stronger.

"Something just- you wouldn't understand", Tom said. He walked towards her, his eyes hurting as he saw her move away from him.