Chapter 39

Abraxas tapped his fingers, looking at the letter Eve had sent Tom.

It's been about a week since Tom arrived to the Malfoy Manor; school was starting in three weeks.

Tom's plan of distancing himself from Eve so he could protect her from himself wasn't exactly going to plan. The girl wasn't persistent but she obviously could sense that something was wrong.

"When are you going to write back to your girlfriend" Abraxas asked as he heard Tom light a cigarette.

"I can't Abraxas", Tom replied. "I have to distance myself from her, to protect her".

"Why not just tell her about your plan?"

"It will scare her away".

"How do you know that?"

Tom stared out the window, calculating his answer. He genuinely did not know if Eve was scared of him. Closing his eyes, he recalled the memory of their first face to face encounter in the library when he tried to kill her.

"You don't scare me, Riddle", Eve whispered in his ear as she walked off. Tom stood there, her scent circling him.

His eyes snapped open, turning to face Abraxas.

"I know her well Malfoy", Tom said. "I'll be off to check on the other duties now".

Abraxas watched Tom leave the room, the door slamming shut behind him. His attention turned to the unopened letter. His eyes watched the door, standing up to lock it. He then proceeded to return to the desk, sitting down as he picked up the envelope.

"Tom's going to regret everything", Abraxas whispered as he gently opened the envelope. He tore the envelope off, holding the paper in his hand. He stroked his platinum blond hair, reading the letter.

Dear Tom,
It's been a few days since you left and I've felt quite empty. I think Jinx misses you too; he's always clawing at the door of the room you once stayed in. I've been thinking - we should go out somewhere soon. Please owl me back as soon as possible. I love you.
Love, 
Evangeline Noir

Abraxas rubbed his finger over her signature, closing his eyes as leaned down, pressing a kiss on her signature. What the fuck did I just do?

He dipped his quill into the black ink, holding it over a clean sheet of paper. If Tom won't reply to Eve, then I will, Abraxas thought as he stared at the paper. He rubbed his temples, contemplating if what he was doing was right.

"Fuck it", he grumbled as he crumped the empty sheet, tossing it under his desk. As with Eve's letter, he laid it in his drawer.

"Eve", Cleo said as she laid the book down. "Why bother sending him a letter if he's not going to respond?"

Eve stared out her window, overlooking the cemetery. She thought about her choices in the past week - partying, cocaine, and thinking endlessly about Tom.

"Because I think I love him", Eve muttered quietly.

"Wow", Cleo remarked. "Evangeline Noir fell in love".

Eve rolled her eyes, turning to face Cleo.

"I didn't think it would happen Cleo", Eve jeered. "I'm just a coward".

"Of what?"

"Love".

"Why?"