Chapter 38

"Tom come on", Eve whined as Tom sat up.

"Alright I'm coming", he laughed as he followed her out. Eve smiled as they exited the French doors, walking down the path in the garden.

Today was Tom's last day at the Noir Estate as he had to be at the Malfoy Manor more often now. Eve knew it too well, and she craved some alone time with him.

"What do you want to do today darling?" Eve spoke as she looked at Tom, who was facing ahead as they walked towards the gate that separated the garden from the forest. Tom held open the gate as Eve walked by, entering the forest. He followed behind, his eyes glued on her as he grabbed her hand.

"I was thinking we go exploring deeper into this forest", Tom whispered as he kissed her neck softly. She closed her eyes, sparks of euphoria bursting through her veins.

"You're such a tease", Eve smirked as Tom pulled away, dragging her by her hand. They continued down into the forest, the trees making more shade. Eve noticed how muddy it was the further they went.

"I haven't been here in a while", Tom announced as he looked up. A raven flew by Eve, catching her by surprise. She smiled as the bird landed on a nearby tree, watching the two teenagers as they walked deeper into the woods.

"It's so lovely here", Eve smiled as she began to notice how dark it got the further they walked into the forest. She smiled when she saw a fawn walk towards its mother.

"I used to go here all the time when I had a lot in mind", Tom said. "Then I met you".

Eve looked up at Tom, who was now staring at her, his dark eyes glistening with happiness. That's the first time Tom had actually looked happy, Eve noted.

"I've never been this far in the forest", Eve spoke. "I never had time as a child". Her eyes stared ahead of her and Tom, noticing a tall tree that seemed so different from the rest.

"Or I think I have been", she smiled as she sped towards the tree. Memories began to flood her mind as she remembered how her father and her used to lay on the grass, underneath this specific tree.

An ash tree with black buds on the tips of the branches.

"When the season changes, the buds become black", Lawrence spoke as he pointed towards the branches. Eve observed the branch, the black bud becoming more obvious.

Another memory followed after this one, however this one had more of a sentimental value.

"Your mother always loved this tree", Lawrence said. "She even hid a box here of her favorite things but I found it".

Lawrence turned to his daughter, smiling.

"I hope one day you can find the box I've hid for you sugar cube".

Eve opened her eyes, staring at the base of the tree. She kneeled down, feeling the ground.

"What on Earth are you doing?" Tom asked as he walked towards her.

Eve didn't respond as she began to slowly stick her finger into the ground, a hard surface preventing it from going any further. There we go, she thought. She removed her finger from the dirt. It was about two to four inches deep into the ground. She began to slowly dig, Tom staring at her.

"What are you looking for darling?" he asked as he sat next to her, watching her focus on digging.

"Wait and see", she smirked at him, her black hair sticking to her sweaty forehead. She continued to dig until the fancy engravings began to appear. Her heart jumped as she began to pull at the corner, the box slowly appearing.