Chapter Three

CW: mentions of death

♡━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━♡

"Cherry...Chestnut," Robyn mumbled to herself as she flipped through her newly purchased book on wandlore. After a long day of shopping with Dylan, they had finally returned home to wind down. For some reason, their father was not in a bad mood as they had expected. Instead, he seemed... content? She couldn't quite read him but didn't really care either, as long as he wasn't angry.

After she greeted her parents, Robyn had hurried upstairs to look at all her new buys, with Winnie helping her transport everything. Most importantly, her brand new honey-coloured wand. It was ten inches and had a hard flexibility, Ollivander had told her, after she had already tried three and made a mess. As soon as she had picked up the fourth wand, she had felt tingles running up her arms. It was like the sun was shining all over her, the warmth in her chest making it clear to her that this was—

'My wand,' she had gasped.

'Your wand,' Ollivander had affirmed. Then, he had bowed to her, to which she had frowned in response.

Now, she was sitting at her windowsill with her new books. "Cypress!" she cheered as she found her wand wood description. 'Aww,' she thought as she read it and put a hand to her chest, flattered, as it said, 'Geraint Ollivander was always honoured to match a cypress wand, for he knew he was meeting a witch or wizard who would—'

"die a heroic death?!" she exclaimed in horror.

"Who's dying?" Lloyd popped his head into her room, uninvited.

"You, if you don't get out of my room! Go away! I'm having a crisis." She snapped at him.

"A crisis? This should be good!"

Robyn went to reply but was interrupted by the arrival of her mother, who was now standing behind Lloyd with crossed arms and a questioning look on her face.

"What's the fuss all about?" she asked calmly while moving in front of her son. Lloyd spoke quickly before Robyn could say anything,

"Robyn's having a crisis and she threatened to kill me!" he smirked at Robyn from behind their mother.

"Threatening to kill people is not nice, Rob," the woman scolded with an eye roll. "Now, the crisis?"

"Ugh- according to this book, I'm going to 'die a heroic death'! I don't want to die! And definitely not heroically!"

"Let me see that," her mother took the book from her hands and read quietly. She hummed to herself and said, "Well, if you had bothered to read on, you'd realise that it says, 'Fortunately, in these less blood-thirsty times, the possessors of cypress wands are rarely called upon to lay down their lives, though doubtless many of them would do so if required.'" She read from the book, verbatim. "So, no. You're not going to die a heroic death."

"Well, you can't know that for sure, can you?" Lloyd mocked, as he moved into the room to stand at his mother's shoulder to read from the book.

"Don't joke about death," Mother said firmly as she frowned at him. Robyn stuck her tongue out at him as he narrowed his eyes back at her, then proceeded to read from the book,

"'Would do so if required'? 'Nobility'? 'Brave, bold, self-sacrificing'?" he listed. "Sounds awfully Gryffindor if you ask me. You better not—"

"No way!" Robyn interrupted. "I'm not going to be sorted into Gryffindor. Don't even go there," she glared at him menacingly as she took the book back from her mother.

"Good," he replied. "Because I'd have to bully you, then."

"Mother!" she shrieked her response indignantly.

"Robyn," her mother parroted her coldly. "Ladies shouldn't shriek. You sound like a banshee." She turned, then, to Lloyd, and said, "Lloyd, don't bully your sister."

"Sorry, Mother," they said simultaneously. Lloyd then slunk out of the room, though not before making a face at Robyn, while her mother stayed put and said, "Come down in half an hour or so; I want to see you in your school robes." Robyn nodded silently as the blonde left her room, then continued reading from the book.

Apparently, owners of cypress wands were 'unafraid to confront the shadows in their own and others' natures'. She scoffed, 'oh, please. I don't have shadows,' she thought to herself, 'nor do I care about anyone else! I should return this silly wand, get a new one.' Then, she flipped to the section detailing wand cores, and read on.

'Wands with unicorn cores are generally the most difficult to turn to the Dark Arts' she noted with a hum. After she finished reading about her wand, she turned to her shopping to put on her new school robes. Once she was done, she looked in the mirror and smiled at her reflection.

'Prim and proper,' she thought. 'Perfect.'

♡━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━♡

A/N: yay

word count: 806 yea ima start putting this. btw the chapters get longer i swear 

- A