Evelyn paused.

Her eyes widened, like she couldn't believe the words she was hearing. It made no sense to her- they were literally perfect together, "What?"

"I- I'm sorry Eve-"

Evelyn cut him off, gripping his shirt with her small hands, "You're breaking up with me? Why?"

Luke bit down on his lip, so hard that he tasted blood on his tongue.

The sad, somber look almost made him break. He had the urge to just tell her everything. To tell her what Michael told him, why he had to do this.

Luke even considered forgoing the whole time. They survived this long- maybe they could hide it again.

He shook his head, knowing it wouldn't be the right thing to do.

He couldn't be the reason Evelyn and Michael lost their close relationship together. They were siblings, that needs to be strong.

And Michael made it clear that he would not go back home until Luke ended it with her. It was more than just for Evelyn: it was for Michael.

He was getting himself in trouble, falling into alcohol and drugs that he had never even looked at before. Luke had never seen Michael so unorganized before, and it killed him. If Michael was anything- he was organized to the point of being obsessive.

Michael was his best friend, and Eve was the love of his life.

And if he told her that Michael was with Patrick, he was certain they would never make up again. Ever.

So, he had to end it.

Her eyes were watering now, tears slipping down her cheeks. She quickly wiped them away, the redness growing in her face.

"We just don't work," Luke looked away, resisting a tear. He remained as emotionless as he could, knowing that if he showed her any emotions it might hurt more.

Maybe it wasn't convincing enough to him, but she believed it.

Evelyn reached her hand out to touch his face, rubbing her thumb against his cheek. He almost gave up in that moment.

Her eyes shifted between his, as if a secret could be revealed from underneath the stoic
look in his eyes.

Deciding to allow a moment of weakness, Luke leaned in, pressing a soft, last kiss to her lips. He figured that having that last moment with her would help them both to recover.

Her tears fell between them, the slightly salty taste on their slow lips. Evelyn grabbed him like she was dying and he was her cure.

Luke couldn't help himself, touching her cheek with his thumb and knitting the rest of his fingers into her hair.

Finally, Luke pulled away.

He gripped her wrist gently, pulling it away from him and standing up. Evelyn barely moved in his presence, just zoned out with a broken look in her eyes.

"I'm sorry Eve, I really am."

She didn't speak, just sat there on her bed frozen. Evelyn couldn't even look at him, couldn't even move.

Her eyes were just trained to the wall, staring at the nothingness.

Luke closed the door gently after himself. He took a shaky breath in, trying to rid himself of the growing pain in his chest.

He walked down the hall, walking into the living room for just a moment.

All his friends were there, sitting around the TV and talking amongst themselves.