Chapter 194: Ancient Temple

The way to set off this kind of crude cannon was to use a lighter instead of a fuse and cigarette. I looked at the home-made cannon in my hand and realized that Che Zhong had no intention of letting me fire it at all.

I was the real bait, and Longtao was just a cover.

Black-haired snakes of various sizes began slithering up from all corners of the platform, so I grabbed Longtao, and the three of us retreated to the door. When I closed the door, I found that it didn't have a fixed bolt, so I had to lean back against it and press hard.

Che Zhong used one of the expended cannons as a brace to hold the door, and we heard a lot of scattered sounds coming from the dead fungus forest outside the tower. Our rope was still hanging nearby, but I was afraid it would take us an hour or two to climb up to the top of the tower.

I was terrified. This snake mine had been mined for such a long time that I was certain some snakes had been actively running around in the natural environment. These snakes would be much more difficult to deal with than those that had just been dug out of the ground, because they had lived here naturally for a long time, and were more familiar with the environment than we were.

I shined my flashlight into the forest, but Che Zhong looked up and used his flashlight to illuminate the tower instead. There were a lot of gray fluffy things attached to the outer wall of the concrete tower, and a closer look revealed that they were actually those hairy snakes. But these snakes weren't big, and their black hair had become a strange gray.

If it was like this, then climbing up from here was tantamount to a suicide mission.

Che Zhong sighed and gave me a look, as if this was all my fault. I took a look at my compass, and then said to him: "Go north. I burned a tree there before, so there should be traces. That place is very close to the ground, and full of rubble. It should be another entrance."

The place I mentioned actually wasn't very far from our current location, but we would essentially be climbing the mountain because this hidden valley was so deep.

This section was also very deadly, but fortunately, climbing the mountain meant we had a large space to react. It wasn't like climbing the concrete tower, where all we could do was hang there and rot if we died.

Che Zhong modified my home-made cannon by removing the fuse and exposing the gunpowder. As he went to give me a lighter, I patted my Kukri and said, "This works better than your crude cannon."

Che Zhong disagreed: "These snakes are also animals, and animals are afraid of things that make loud noises and have fierce firepower. I don't believe this kind of snake has no natural enemies, so they'll be cautious. And if they're cautious, we can trick them and make our escape."

I didn't agree. In both the Tamu-Tuo and Motuo murals I had seen before, humans were part of this snake's breeding cycle, which made it necessary for them to actively attack and hunt humans if they were to survive.

But there was no need to tell Che Zhong about my theory.

We didn't hesitate and turned to leave, but at this time, we couldn't find Longtao. I turned and saw him climbing up the rope, rushing to reach the top of the stone tower as if he were possessed.

I yelled twice and told him to come down quickly, but he didn't listen at all, and completely ignored me. He kept climbing straight up, and all the snakes attached to the concrete wall started to draw closer to him.

I wanted to go up, but Che Zhong stopped me, patted me, and made a circular motion with his finger beside his head. He was saying that Longtao had lost his mind, and it was useless even if I went after him.