Chapter 114: Black Glasses

After they fished it out from the bottom of the well, they discovered that it was an ancient female corpse. The corpse had been floating face down in the well water, and not only was it completely saturated, but its tanned leather skin was all bloated and looked purplish black in the light. The style and pattern of the clothes had completely rotted away and were unrecognizable, but judging from the jewelry on its hand, it must have been a corpse from the late Ming Dynasty.

After being fished up, they found that almost all of the bones had basically melted away, and the body was more like a leather coat. Even the skull had basically broken apart and dissolved, but it was very strange that the facial bones and hair were well preserved.

It was as if the whole head was a mask.

There was no silt at the bottom of the well, and it was very clean, which enabled them to see that it had been constructed with bluestone.

When the body was found, there was a very strange bronze mirror hanging around her neck. The mirror was so thin that it almost seemed as if it was a tourmaline plate wrapped in copper foil. The handle of the mirror was shaped like a hairpin, and pierced the middle of the female corpse's collarbone.

It was clearly the scene of a late Ming Dynasty murder, and seeing as the land was very close to the Forbidden City, all kinds of stories instantly came to mind.

"That kind of tanning is caused by an acidic swamp environment, but there was no sediment at the bottom of the well. It doesn't make sense. And the decomposition of the body itself would also produce a lot of impurities." Wu Xie said. "It's impossible for such a corpse to form in this well. It seems like there's something else at play."

"It's true that the corpse was tanned in a humid and acidic environment, but Black Glasses came to the conclusion that it didn't occur in the well. The mirror inserted into the corpse's collarbone was later confirmed to be modern, and the wound had also been formed after the body was tanned." Xie Yuchen said.

The policeman tried to pull the mirror out, but Black Glasses stopped him, and motioned for him to observe.

The front part of the skull still remained intact, indicating that the weight of the whole head was concentrated on the female corpse's face. If she was standing at the bottom of the well, then the weight on her face would have forced her head to look down at her feet, and her line of sight would have been directed right at the mirror.

So in fact, the female corpse had been looking at herself in the mirror.

This must have been the reason why the mirror was inserted into her chest. But the people who threw her into the well made a mistake—they threw her upside down.

The female corpse's face was very heavy, so after being thrown head first into the well, her face ended up facing the bottom of the well.

"This little sister fell from the sky, and her face landed first." Black Glasses explained to the police: "This kind of situation is too fierce; such a mistake wouldn't be made. The woman's corpse was unearthed from another place and moved to this well. It was probably those same people who dug her up, but they couldn't figure this thing out. An expert pointed out that there was a well here, but the changes in the woman's corpse were too strange, and they panicked during the operation. As a result, they still didn't manage to escape the disaster. If you want to understand what happened here, you first have to investigate the land on which this building was constructed, what it was used for in the late Ming dynasty, and who the owner of this well was at that time. Second, we need to find out where exactly this woman's corpse came from."

The former was something the police could handle, while the latter required Granny Huo's help.

Originally, the matter had basically been cleared up by this point, but when Black Glasses left the building, he mentioned something to the police. He told them that the favor Granny Huo owed him might be too big.

That night, Black Glasses started experiencing problems with his eyes.

"There was already something wrong with his eyes to where he couldn't see light. It was why he wore sunglasses all the time, but it wasn't that serious back then. After that night, however, his eyes started having more serious problems." Xie Yuchen continued: "He found himself unable to lift his eyes, and could only see the ground in front of him."

"Like that female corpse?" Wu Xie asked.

Xie Yuchen made some sort of move, but gave up after several times because it was too hard to describe. He thought it over for a moment, and then said: "Black Glasses thought about it all night, because it put him in such a strange and indescribable state. He reexamined the data from that time and suddenly realized what was going on." Xie Yuchen continued: "Something was crawling on his back, and forcing his head down as long as he opened his eyes."

The charred body on the rooftop at that time must have been the same, and that was why the footprints on the asphalt were so deep.

Black Glasses had expected that he might be affected, but he didn't think it would be like this.

The situation got worse every day. A week later, he couldn't even lift up his neck and almost drowned in his sink when he went to wash his face.

He went to the Public Security Bureau, took out the mirror, put it in front of his feet, and then looked down. He couldn't get a clear view of whatever was on his back, but he did see two hands hanging down both sides of his shoulder. After another week, the situation still wasn't getting any better. Ordinary people would have been facing despair at this time, but Black Glasses was the opposite. He suddenly felt that it was very interesting, but he also started to feel annoyed at the same time.

Xie Yuchen closed his eyes and said, "To put it more bluntly, he was very angry, and ready to fight that thing on his back."

In his room, Black Glasses blindfolded himself and started training to live without his sight. His perseverance was amazing, and he didn't open his eyes for half a year.

He soon got used to living without his sight. His own lifestyle was very simple, so not being able to see had little effect on him.

During this period, Granny Huo discovered who those thirteen men were. They were loggers from Liaobian, who had dug up the woman's corpse from a swamp in the Xiaoxing'an Mountains. The corpse, which had sunk into the swamp face up at that time, had very long hair. The men were digging up a kind of aquatic weed from the swamp at that time, and they found that the root of the weed had become entangled with the corpse's hair. After digging up the body, they cut off the hair, and took all of the gold ornaments from it.

That night, the thirteen men started having problems with their sight. They became unable to see clearly, as if a thin film of water was covering their eyes, and they all felt wet. When they went to the hospital, they discovered that there was a strange spot on their retinas.

They went for later testing, and found that the spot turned out to be a kind of aquatic moss that had attached itself to their retinas and was still actively growing.

The people over there were still very superstition, and thought that the matter may have had something to do with the female corpse they had dug up. They may have messed with something that shouldn't have been messed with, so they found a local priestess of some fame.

The old woman was said to have some miraculous powers, and after hearing the end of the story, she decided to send the body to a well someplace in Beijing.

The priestess' apprentice had been found, so most of the information came from him. It was later confirmed that the corpse that had been burned to death on the roof was the priestess.