Chapter 1: Injured Teen

"The power of ten kings on horseback." Su Wan dropped the black piece and looked at Li Cu proudly. "How about it? Pretty strong, right?"

In the evening study class, reference books were placed on the floor, and the desk was equipped with a small Go chessboard. The black spots on the board were already dominating, and in less than a few moves, the game would be over.

On one side of the chessboard, Li Cu cocked his head and looked out the window at the corridor where the head teacher was still chatting with his father. He was somewhat absent-minded as he pinched the spot between his eyebrows and made a casual move on the chessboard.

"You have no morals, do you? You're moving my piece." Su Wan grabbed Li Cu's face so he could face the chessboard.

"Oh, did I? Sorry." Li Cu came to attention, but couldn't find which one he had just moved.

"It's no use looking for it now. Let me tell you, your father is going to beat you until your skin comes off because of all the trouble you've caused. If you're so scared, why did you look for trouble in the first place?" Su Wan scolded as he put the piece back.

Li Cu saw his father glance at him while still talking to the teacher. He immediately drew his head back, his sense of foreboding growing even stronger.

"Are you going to move or not?" Su Wan was impatient.

Li Cu sighed and shook his head: "Look for someone else. I think I have to slip away."

"Hey, to slip away now would be even worse." Su Wan said.

"You don't understand my father. You see our boss," he pointed to the head teacher, a young woman with a good figure who had just graduated from college and entered the high school to become a teacher. "As beautiful as flowers and pure as jade, my father won't be able to control himself in front of such a woman. In order to maintain his male charm, he'll violently beat me in public."

"Escaping won't fix anything."

"My father is fifty years old and doesn't have enough energy; his anger won't last too long. I'll wait for his fury to subside and get him some wine. He won't care then." Li Cu put his schoolbag on his back. "How much money do you have? Give it to me first and we'll calculate the interest later."

"Forget it, Brother supports you." Su Wan pulled out a few red banknotes. His family was relatively rich, but he didn't flaunt it. Rumors had even spread that he had more than ten thousand yuan on his card. Li Cu had never seen so much money in his life, so even a few hundred yuan seemed like an exaggerated amount to him.

Li Cu was still a little moved even though he knew that Su Wan was rich. He looked at the corridor, and saw that his father and the head teacher seemed to be wrapping up. He gave Su Wan a fist bump and then slipped his body out the back door.

As soon as he escaped the room, he reached the stairs and took them at a speed that made the wind whistle in his ears.

The classroom was on the second floor, and the bicycle shed was down the stairs. He quickly ran to his bike and hopped on, peddling to the school gate. As he left the shelter of the bike shed, he seemed to hear his father's roar come from upstairs.

As Li Cu rode under the streetlights on the main road, he laughed. He wasn't happy that he had escaped disaster, but thinking of what the head teacher would look like when she saw his father.

There wouldn't be a next time.

He knew in his heart that his father's anger was so terrible, that after seeing it once, the former head teacher never dared to call his parents over again. He was safe in school no matter what he did from now on.