Chapter 142: Learn to Think

Below that were a lot of small words that explained what a partner was. It turned out that when the training here reached a certain stage, they would gradually start cooperative training with two people pairing up, and then four people, and then have two groups of people working together.

In this training system, girls and boys had different directions. Because Li Cu's own qualifications were problematic, there was no way he would become the backbone of the partnership. He didn't doubt that the organization would assign him a strong and able-bodied male partner.

He didn't know why, but Wang Xiaoyuan wanted to be his partner, and was hoping he would choose her when he had to pick. Since they would assess how Li Cu analyzed and grasped the situation, they would respect his ideas and see if his thought process was particularly amazing and brilliant.

Of course, Li Cu still had a long way to go before he could choose a partner. He still had to undergo a lot of lessons, but Wang Xiaoyuan promised in the note that as long as he chose her, she would do anything for him. Not even make-up lessons or stealing exam papers would be a problem.

Li Cu rolled the note into a very thin ball, dissolved it in his mouth, and spit it into the toilet. Lying back in bed, he began to recall Wang Xiaoyuan's youthful and beautiful face.

The girl's idea was very strange, but he believed she had a reason. Based on the topic they had talked about today, it was probably because of his nose.

Such a young girl wouldn't be too calculating, so it wasn't something like her wanting to befriend him first because he was going to be powerful. He felt that the reason why the girl worked so hard to do such a thing must be very simple.

He would wait and see, and if there were no other strange changes, he would still like to be with such a beautiful girl.

She even said she would do anything for him. Li Cu was a little distracted, and tried to restrain himself for a moment, but an evil thought still appeared in his mind. He struggled with himself, wondering if he really wanted to do it.

That night, Li Cu struggled with strange dreams containing dragon patterned boxes, strange babies, and many mechanisms he couldn't see clearly. Some were like clocks, while others were like string puppets, and Wang Xiaoyuan was interspersed among them. When he woke up in the morning, the bags under his eyes were big enough to look like a meteor hammer [1].

After breakfast, he found that the pack of Zhongnanhai was already on his windowsill, and had been unsealed. After carefully counting, he noticed that two cigarettes had been removed, and a lighter was placed inside.

A wonderful feeling welled up in Li Cu's heart. He first felt that the girl was thoughtful and clever, but he knew that she was just trying to ingratiate herself with him.

Even though he knew she had a special purpose, he still felt a little different. He liked this feeling.

He didn't smoke, but tried to do his homework before the middle-aged man came. As a result, he stood there in the morning sun for half an hour, unable to recall the topic of his homework before he finally decided to give up.

The middle-aged man arrived at his ward on schedule, dragging the projector behind him. Li Cu was relieved that he didn't check his homework, and was even further relieved when all the man did was ask questions instead. There was no need to write the homework down, so long as he knew what he should say.

As Li Cu made up a bunch of nonsense, the middle-aged man listened carefully and took notes from time to time. His expression was neither unhappy nor angry, which actually reassured Li Cu. He knew that such a teacher wouldn't lose his temper, or take the opportunity to ridicule him.

After hearing Li Cu's answer, the middle-aged man rubbed his face and said, "It's basically nonsense."

Li Cu smiled, and silently agreed that he really was spouting nonsense. But he liked this scoring standard, which was much more humane than the ice cold exam scores.

The middle-aged man sighed and closed his notebook: "If this is the result, I'll have to repeat yesterday's lesson, and you and I will both have to suffer. It seems that I'll have to guide you again from the basics." He then asked, "First, answer me a question. Do you believe what I said yesterday?"

When Li Cu nodded, the middle-aged man continued: "People who have received an education since childhood that has solidified their line of thinking generally have several reactions after hearing yesterday's lesson. The first reaction is total disbelief because they think it's a story; the second reaction is that they fully believe it because I told them; and the other reaction is total indifference to the authenticity of the story because they think the information doesn't matter. You're the second kind of person, but in fact, all three reactions are essentially the same. This proves that your thought process has been completely molded, and you've lost the conditioned reflex to correctly treat a problem."

The middle-aged man showed Li Cu his notebook, on which he had written a sentence: "How should one think?"

"Thinking is a kind of conditioned reflex, especially logical thinking. The education you received before emphasized the uniqueness of the answer, but you should remember that in real society, there can never be only one answer. There are countless correct answers or possibilities for any question. Therefore, when you think about a question, sometimes you don't want to think about what the answer is, but instead focus on the 'thinking' process itself, which can logically lead to countless correct answers.

"Simply put, all correct answers can be reached using a unique sense of logic." The middle-aged man asked Li Cu to close his eyes. "You don't have to stare at me and pretend to be serious. I know you didn't understand a word I just said. Let me give you an example."

When Li Cu awkwardly closed his eyes, the middle-aged man said, "Did what you hear yesterday sound like a fairy tale?"

Li Cu nodded, and the middle-aged man said: "If you've studied history, you'll find that there are similar sayings in many cults and folk religions in China, such as the White Lotus Society, the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom's worship of God, and any religious sect born out of political and economic aspirations. They all have a divine god or saint, who has a very strange mythological background."

Li Cu hadn't heard of the White Lotus Sect, but he knew some of the history between the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom and China. Of course, much of it was what he had seen from TV dramas. He didn't know whether that could be considered as an understanding of history, but he nodded out of habit.

"So, did the whole story I told you yesterday feel like the birth of a religious puppet?"

****************************************

Note:

[1] Ancient Chinese weapon, consisting at its most basic level of two weights connected by a rope or chain.

The Lost Tomb : Sea Of Sandsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें