Chapter 32: Midnight Singing

Nothing. The belt was still there and Li Cu was baffled. Is that thing gone? He moved his feet bit by bit, trying to step only on the sand dune. Just as he started moving, however, he felt like something was wrong.

It was hard to describe what it was, and it took him several seconds before he realized what it felt like: something seemed to be standing behind him.

He stiffened his neck, slowly lowered his head, and carefully glanced back. Sure enough, there was a huge shadow engulfing his own shadow, and something was standing right behind him!

Li Cu gasped, imagining all the countless things it might be, as he thought: Ah shit, I'm screwed. Unexpectedly, that thing was actually behind me.

The thing behind him didn't make a sound, and Li Cu couldn't even hear the sound of it breathing. This made him feel even more frightened, and he started to run before he even realized it. After a few steps, he looked back and saw a long, black shadow quickly disappear into the sand. Everything happened so fast that he couldn't even see anything clearly. Suddenly, he saw the thing surge up from underneath the sand and lunge towards something in the distance.

He was so scared that he almost wet his pants, and it wasn't until the ripples disappeared from the edge of the sand dune that he got up and rushed straight to the haizi. After reaching the water's edge, he climbed into a truck and hid in a corner, trembling incessantly.

He didn't know what he saw, but he knew it didn't belong in this world, and was clearly something he couldn't handle. The two men who kidnapped him must be dead now, and he was the only one left. It was possible that there was nothing worse in this world than this.

Li Cu's previous fantasies involving wild adventures and the excitement of being out in the world completely disappeared at this moment. He thought that no matter how hard or tiring his life was in the city, he would at least be safe there. But running around out here meant he was in danger of losing his life at any time. Compared with that unknown terror in the desert, the two detestable guys before now felt extremely cute.

For a long time, Li Cu's mind was in turmoil as he cowered in the truck until he eventually became exhausted and drifted off to sleep. When he woke up, it was already dark.

Li Cu poked his head out of the truck's cab and looked out the window, only seeing an organized row of trucks as quiet as the grave. The haizi was still lying calmly in front of the row of trucks, and there seemed to be no sign of it leaving. When his stomach rumbled in hunger, he remembered that there was some food among the things he had previously collected. He was also reminded of what Wu Xie had said about the corpses, and thought to himself: Even the mummies can't be eaten now. Sure enough, Wu Xie, every time you want to eat a corpse, you won't succeed. God has various ways to keep you from making such a mistake.

He didn't dare go out to search for things like food, feeling that it was better to be more passive when it was dark. There was a full moon hanging in the night sky, shining its silver light all around. But the illumination of this frosty light was too dim, so he decided to continue enduring it.

Perhaps it was because he had slept so deeply before, but he felt refreshed after waking up. He didn't know what time it was, so he lay flat in the truck, trying to reduce his breathing and keep any sounds from drifting out. He tried to deceive himself by saying that it was very safe, but he also couldn't shake the feeling that there were countless dangers around him. In the end, telling himself he was safe here really didn't make much sense.

In this way, he got through the first half of the night. But when the second half came, he suddenly found that something was wrong. As he began to feel sleepy, and the drowsiness caused his hunger and thirst to disappear, he thought to himself, maybe I'm too dehydrated and this is the precursor to death. If he passed out, he might disappear just like that, so he endured it. But there really was no way to hold out for so long, and he eventually fell back asleep. This time, he was only asleep for maybe seven or eight seconds before he suddenly woke up again. He felt strange, as if something had just interrupted his sleep. When he rubbed his eyes to spur his sluggish thoughts into action, he suddenly heard a strange sound coming from far away outside the truck. After listening carefully, it turned out to be singing.

How can there be singing? He held his breath, wondering if this place was haunted, too.

Monsters and ghosts, shit! Maybe I traveled to another dimension, Li Cu thought. He was so tired at this point that his mind was blank, and he thought it wasn't so bad after all. Assuming he died here, he could turn into a ghost and kill the monster.

The song reached Li Cu's ears again. Is it the ghosts of Wu Xie and Wang Meng singing? Those two guys were already really crazy, and their behavior after death is even worse. But when he listened carefully, it wasn't a man's voice, but a woman's voice.