Chapter 93: Gold

Li Cu felt that something was wrong deep in his heart. What was he doing, and why did he meet a weird stranger after sinking into the sand? The stranger said there was a treasure here, and then invited him in to explore it.

It wasn't normal, but why didn't he care? His heart was calm, and he wanted to sleep so that he could enter the dream with the help of that stone like the man had said. Even if he felt strange, he still thought that he should just let it go.

No, it wasn't normal.

Li Cu fell into a deep sleep. It was right when he was on the verge of falling asleep that his ability to judge the abnormality of the situation reached its peak, and he woke up with a start. But after waking up, he immediately experienced that same feeling again, and couldn't get rid of it.

He forced himself to divert his attention. If his mind wouldn't let him think that the situation was strange, or let him have any rebellious thoughts, then what about other thoughts?

When he tried to feel the temperature around him, he found that it was very suitable, and his skin and his clothes were dry. How long ago was he rescued?

He remembered that he had just come up from the filtration pool and even his underwear was wet, but now it was completely dry. Did that mean he been rescued for at least four hours? Had it been that long?

He found it a little strange again, but as soon as the idea appeared, he was unable to think for a moment. In any case, he couldn't provoke whatever was preventing him from thinking this "strange" idea.

He was unable to reason, and unable to determine whether something was logical. His line of thinking line blocked.

What should I do?

There must be a problem, but with his brain forcing him to ignore it, he had to do something. He aimlessly groped around, and when he touched upon the package containing the serum, he took out a syringe from inside.

His mind was blank and he couldn't concentrate, but he used the last bit of control at the edge of his awareness to stab the syringe into his thigh.

Because his consciousness was so slow, the stabbing action was very sluggish, which meant that the pain became more severe and his brain instantly began to wake up.

As soon as he felt the pain, he stabbed the syringe into his leg again, waking his nerves up more and more with each puncture.

As he continued to stab a dozen more times, everything around him disappeared, and he was plunged into endless darkness.

He immediately found that the dry feeling from before had disappeared, and his clothes were definitely still wet.

Was he still in the sand? He moved, but it didn't feel right, as if there wasn't any sand around at all. He turned his head and felt cold, slimy scales.

At that time, whatever was wrapped around him began to twist and squeeze.

It's the snake. Li Cu realized, and it must be the white snake judging by its strength and size. In that same instant, he could feel sand rubbing between him and the scales.

He was still under the sand. But he didn't know when the snake had ended up in the sand and wrapped itself around him.

When Li Cu took a few breaths, a foul, fishy odor assaulted his nostrils. The air must have come from the space the snake had pressed out when it wrapped around him.

Was he dreaming just now? Definitely not. That kind of sober, realistic feeling definitely couldn't be found in a dream. He could even move his hand and feel the weight of the syringe he was holding, but he didn't know what kind of state his poor thigh was in.

He turned his head and felt the snake's tongue lick at the side of his neck. Then, the snake raised its head, pressed close to his face, and began to make a strange low-frequency sound. At the same time, a strong, almost fish-like odor came out of the snake's mouth.

Li Cu began to feel muddled again, and dazedly found himself back at the edge of the cave entrance. A closer look revealed that more than half of the hole had been covered by a huge rock, leaving only a single gap. But even so, the gap was surprisingly large.

"Go inside." The man in white said to him, "What are you waiting for?"

Li Cu looked at his hand and found that the syringe was missing and had turned into a rope. He smiled foolishly and said, "Let's go!"

After they had found a long stone nearby and tied the rope to it, the man said, "Be careful, the cave wall below is very smooth so it's not easy to go down. Don't slide down directly." With that said, he took the lead and went down ahead of the others.

Li Cu followed him down, and Su Wan took up the rear.

The three men placed their feet on the stone walls and slowly descended to the bottom of the cave. Li Cu found that what the man had said was true—the cave walls were polished so smooth that there were no gaps to grab. In other words, the basic rock climbing method he had planned to use wasn't feasible, and he had to use the pulling force of the rope and the strength of his legs to go down, which made it a lot more difficult.

After descending more than ten minutes, Li Cu shined his flashlight down at the bottom of the cave and let out an exclamation. He found that the man hadn't lied, because he could see a dazzling golden light reflected by all the gold at the bottom of the cave.

They were still some distance from the bottom, and could still see the dazzling golden light, so how much gold was buried in this cave?

Moreover, the bottom of the cave was only the entrance, so if it was filled with gold, then there must be an amazing amount further in.

They continued down and reached the bottom within half an hour. Where they landed wasn't rock, however, but a thick layer of gold coins. What surprised them the most was that the bottom of the cave wasn't as dark as they had imagined. There was a turn that led to a horizontal cave full of a dazzling light.

How could there be light underground? Li Cu thought it was very strange. He released his grip, jumped off the rope, stepped on the golden ground, and walked into the cave. He had still been skeptical about the man's story the entire way down, but now that he was looking at it, it was really indescribable. This wasn't a treasure cave at all, but a giant water pipe clogged with countless jewels, gold, and silver.

Yes, the treasure here completely filled the whole place.

When Li Cu ran inside the cave, he found that all the light was actually sunlight streaming down through a dozen small holes at the top of the cave. Obviously, the underground cave was connected with the outside world. On one hand, this section was used for ventilation, while on the other hand, it helped guide the outside sunlight into the cave. Although the sunlight was very subtle and similar to that of a flashlight, its reflection off of the gold permeated the darkness with a golden glow.

Li Cu was struck dumb, but continued forward, and Su Wan— who was already a rich man— had turned pale and didn't speak. In front of this much gold, his so-called wealth was obviously only a noun. Even if it wasn't yours, seeing this much gold would make you treat money like dirt.

The two men started to walk forward, but at this moment, the man in front of them suddenly cried out, "Wait a minute, please stand there and don't move. I have something to say."

At that moment, Li Cu and Su Wan both stopped. Li Cu was full of wariness, because he had heard the man say before that there was so much gold here that even if more than a hundred people shared it, they would all be the richest people in the world. The average person wouldn't think to monopolize so much wealth, but it couldn't be said that there were no crazy people in this world, or those who were obsessed with money. This person might have said that at the time, but he had seen it in a dream. If he saw it in real life, then what he chose to do might surprise them. In this world, there were numerous instances of turning on each other in this type of situation.

As a result, when the man told them to wait, Li Cu immediately grabbed Su Wan. But when they looked at him, they found that the expression on his face wasn't the kind of greedy joy that comes with seeing money and wealth beyond one's wildest dreams. That man's expression seemed cold and sly.