Chapter 100: See It At Last

The cave was about the size of two basketball courts, with a rocky beach at the bottom. The middle area was set high and surrounded on all sides by water, and all the gravel was as black as go pieces.

The water here was so gentle that Li Cu could feel it seeping under the soft rocks, which should be part of the filtration system.

Where did the water come from? Was it rain, or had it already been under the ruins from the start? If it was rain, how was he still alive right now?

Shouldn't his skin have been corroded clean off?

He looked down at his hands to find that they were pale, and there were countless festering spots on them. He realized that it wasn't that his skin wasn't corroded, but that he didn't feel any pain.

Did he break his neck just now?

He tried to move his body, but as soon as he got out of the water, gravity instantly made his knee ache, and he immediately screamed.

But the pain also enabled Li Cu to break away from that chaotic state his mind was in, and he ended up yelling several times as he climbed to the top of the dry beach.

As he lay there on his back, he saw plant roots hanging from the cave ceiling like a waterfall. There was also a large number of them spread out along the cave wall, and a phosphorescent light came up from under the water, enveloping the whole cave in a magical green light.

He looked at the skin on the rest of his body and saw that it had been badly corroded. Even if he was cured, he would undoubtedly look similar to a burn victim. But the water's corrosive effect here had been weakened, which meant that some of the groundwater may have been mixed in. Otherwise, he would have become nothing but bones.

He didn't continue thinking about it, but started taking off all his clothes in order to get a good look at his wounds.

If he wasn't dead yet, then he basically wouldn't die, and since he couldn't die, he wouldn't do useless things.

When he looked at his knee and saw that it was completely deformed, he realized that the pain hadn't abated at all.

I need a professional doctor. As he contemplated for a moment, he suddenly thought of school, of doing his homework in his seat, and watching the girls in the next class walk past the window in white skirts.

He had felt extremely disgusted at the time, back when he was purely safe and only needed to worry about the teacher's roar. But now that he thought back on it, it was really a simple, carefree life.

How did he get to this point?

There was only some food left in the backpack, along with a rope and some climbing tools. He silently calculated and determined that his leg was broken, which left him with only one healthy leg. He estimated that the whole recovery time would take three months. Maybe after half a month here, he could jump back into the water as a disabled person and find a way out.

He had to call for help; otherwise, this kind of death would be too painful.

But he couldn't think of a way, and so he sat there groaning, focusing most of his energy on enduring the pain, and using the rest of his energy to think.

His eyes gradually adapted to the light around him, and the silhouettes of some of the things he couldn't see before were slowly revealed in the green light.

He saw many reliefs and statues hidden among the plant roots, so difficult to detect because they had almost been integrated with the vines.

He couldn't see the details clearly because they were still far away, but the statues were very large. One in particular was wrapped in vines, but the picture was still quite familiar.

"Oh, SHIT!" He realized what he had seen.

He thought that no matter what he saw in this place—whether they were Buddha statues, evil gods of unknown local civilizations, or other foreign religions— he wouldn't be surprised or hesitate.

But he didn't expect to see the statue of this person appear in this place. He was completely stunned and felt a little disoriented.

This underground desert building that started construction in the 1980s, the strange building structure... countless pieces of information were running through his head.

It turns out that this is what it's about. Everything here was for this purpose. Li Cu understood, he finally understood. He thought it was funny, but couldn't even bring himself to laugh before he was immediately plunged into sadness: I can't die. I have to take what I've seen out of here.

He looked up at the hanging roots, took out the rope and hooks from his backpack, and made a rope sling. He would try to reach those roots and tie the sling to them.

Because the roots were as high as three or four people, he had to throw it a few times before he managed to snag a root as thick as an arm.

He waved his arm, and felt sharp pain everywhere he moved.

He lay down on the ground exhausted, and ate a few mouthfuls of dry food while swallowing the blood in his throat. He then closed his eyes and started to sleep.

The other end of the rope was tied around his waist. He didn't bother untying it, and he wasn't asleep either. In reality, he had finally passed out.

On the other side, Liang Wan was in a dark room.

This was a place near District Three's core, and she walked aimlessly the entire way. By the time she had calmed down, she had already arrived at this place.

This was the only "room" she had seen all the way here, since all the other entrances led to other tunnels.

There were abandoned desks and chairs in the room that looked very uncomfortable and stiff, but the materials used were quite exquisite. She decided to rest here, since it had an air vent through which warm air rushed in.

In the cold tunnel, this warm air made the room feel very safe.

There was also a closed pool at the end of the room, and judging from the many clothes hooks and long wooden cabinets on one side of the wall, it must be a place for bathing. There were also devices on the wall that she suspected were where the shower nozzles were installed, but they had long disappeared.

The water in the pool was a little warm.

Liang Wan rested on one of the chairs for a long time. She had no doubt that Li Cu and Su Wan were dead. She had followed Yang Hao into the filtration pool during the confusion, but the boy didn't care about her at all, and ran away by himself.

Men were unreliable on any occasion, especially when they were really needed.

She looked at her watch and saw that the countdown was still running, but a third of the time had already passed since Wu Xie had said they needed to live through the next three days.

No matter what Wu Xie meant at the time, the truth was, it was really difficult to survive in here for three days.

When she went to wash her face in the pool, she realized that the water was very clean.

She gave herself a critical look, hesitated for a moment, and then took off all her clothes and approached the pool.

It wasn't hot, but the warm water began to clean every pore on her body, making her feel dizzy with pleasure.

She buried her head in the water to calm herself down. The light of the glow stick wasn't strong, but the experience in the dark gave her the illusion of receiving a spa treatment.

She looked up, touched her forehead, and found that she was feverish.

Under intense pressure, her body often became feverish for no reason. She looked at her shoulder and saw a pattern slowly start to appear on her white skin. It was a phoenix totem.

Since she was a child, she had always been very confused about her tattoo. She didn't remember when she got it, and the pattern only appeared when her body temperature rose. She had only seen the same phenomenon on one other person.