Chapter 37: Sand Fishing

Li Cu was suspended from a crane in the back of a truck that was loaded with all kinds of goods and construction equipment. The piece of machinery holding him up was in the truck bed, its arm protruding three or four meters out over the sand. It had obviously been used to hoist small machinery before. He was hanging under the crane's boom, only a hand's width away from the sand.

The rope was wrapped around his upper limbs, keeping his hands and arms firmly tied, and when he swung his feet, he managed to turn his body in half a circle. That was when he saw Black Glasses lying on the top of the truck, holding a telescope and facing the sand dunes in the distance.

He froze, thinking back to when Wu Xie had asked him to take photos while they were making camp with the archaeological team before. He had captured a particularly strange shadow that looked like a woman. He remembered how Black Glasses was dressed last night before his cover was blown and wondered if he had accidentally photographed this crazy guy lying on the sand dunes.

He struggled a few times, a chill running down his spine again as he remembered what Black Glasses had said last night. Obviously, this man really hadn't been joking, and although he didn't look like he should be taken seriously, he had been far more ruthless than Wu Xie from last night up until now.

"What the hell are you trying to do?" Li Cu asked, as the rope spun him around again.

"Fishing." Black Glasses answered. He looked at his watch and added, "You slept well. You were snoring just now."

"Big bro, can you stop joking? If you let me down, I'll do whatever you want." Li Cu still had a glimmer of hope.

"Don't worry, I'll let you down." Black Glasses said, "I'll let you down in another ten minutes. Then maybe you'll beg me to hang you back up again."

As Li Cu looked at his situation and knew what Black Glasses was trying to do, he couldn't help secretly cursing in his heart: I definitely won't move after I land. Even if you come down and hit me, I definitely won't do what you want. Who wants to be your bait?! Then he saw Black Glasses lift up a long gun from his side.

"Look, I fixed it myself." Black Glasses saw Li Cu looking at the gun and said, "You must find it very strange. I have poor eyesight and wear sunglasses, so how am I so sharp? Let me tell you, my eyes can actually see better when it's very dark. Since I'm wearing sunglasses now, the world I see is very different from yours. Although it's not very convenient for everyday things, my eyesight has given me a lot of advantages when it comes to shooting. To put it simply, with this broken gun in my hand, I can shoot wherever I want."

"Whether your eyesight is good, or why you wear glasses, has nothing to do with me. Even if you say so, I don't want to be bait." Li Cu said.

"I'm not telling you that I can ensure your safety as bait, I'm reminding you to obediently cooperate with me. After I let you down, you have to run to the sand dune, or I'll shoot your ass."

"Fuck—" Li Cu was about to curse him out when Black Glasses kicked a switch by his feet. The rope that held Li Cu loosened in one fell swoop and he fell the short distance to the sand.

Li Cu's hands were still tied, and the rope was attached to the truck. He didn't feel it when he was hanging in the air, but after dragging the rope a little bit, he found that it was quite heavy. He got up and heard the sound of Black Glasses sliding the gun's bolt back.

"Run towards the dunes until there's no more rope to pull, and then run back here."

Li Cu wanted to say "you don't have the guts to kill me", but as soon as he heard the sound of the bolt, his legs moved almost immediately without his control. He heard Black Glasses shouting "Run run run..." from behind him, his voice becoming smaller and smaller as Li Cu ran further and further. When he was too tired, he stopped to look back and found that he was far away from the truck and the rope had been dragged for a long time.