Difference

The children learned to adjust to their parents' relationship after some given time. What truly sealed the deal for their approval was the way in which their relationship differed from their marriages.

Betty had witnessed a private moment between the couple. She took note of how FP handled the situation with her mother compared to what her father would have done in the same situation.

Alice stood in front of the window in the living room wiping away the stray tears that slowly escaped from her eyes. FP came down the stairs, rubbing his bleary eyes, in search of Alice. When he had felt her side of the bed empty he immediately got up to look for her.

He carefully walked down the stairs and noticed her by the window. He wrapped his arms securely around her once he reached her frame.

"Let's go back to bed, Al." He pecked a soft kiss on the top of her head.

"I can't sleep."

"Why not?"

"I can't stop thinking about Polly, or the twins."

"Are you worried about her again?"

"I know I shouldn't-"

"There's nothing wrong with being worried about Polly. Our job is to constantly worry about our kids," FP knew that with the responsibility of being a parent came the never ending worry about their wellbeing. It was a part of the job. "She's in good hands though."

"She's gone through a lot, FP. I just want to do whatever I possibly can to make things right."

"And you have, baby. Only time can heal all that's been done. Before you know it she'll be home happier than ever."

"Do you really think so?"

"I do. She's as strong as her mother."

"I'm sorry for making you get up." Alice sighed. "I know it's the middle of the night and you'd rather be asleep."

"Nonsense, I'd rather be with you. We can keep talking about it if it'll help you go back to sleep. You need to rest, too." FP led her to the couch to sit. He kicked his legs onto the couch and helped her take her place. Her body pressed against his and she instantly melted in his arms. He could physically feel her relax and that made him happy.

Betty had watched FP listen to her mother and how he gave her the comfort she most definitely needed. They didn't know she was looking down at them from the top of the staircase, so she witnessed the purity of their relationship. He helped his girlfriend drift back to sleep and for how he handled her mother she was forever grateful. Betty knew at heart that her father never would have gotten up to be by her mother's side, nor given her the sense of security this man gave her.

Not only that but she realized how happy the man made her compared to the years she spent with her father. The frowns and glares that used to crease her face had turned to bubbly smiles and giggles.

Betty could never find the right words to share her gratitude for the man who let her mother find the version of herself she sacrificed to keep others afloat. His love for Alice taught her to love herself the way she should have all those years ago. The joy FP brought into Alice's life was enough to convince her that this relationship was more than it let on.

On the other hand, Polly wasn't FP's biggest fan but she, too, spotted a clear difference between this man and the man she called her father. One of the biggest differing traits between the two men was their relationship with her mother in regards to her twins. It was no secret that Hal was not amused with the idea of Polly having kept the twins. From the start of her pregnancy he disapproved of her wishes.