Double Life

Riverdale was a strange town. It was small but had many secrets. Strong minded news reporter, Alice Smith, was not one to take no for an answer, especially on her latest case. She was determined to find the best evidence. That led her to needing to talk to the sheriff.

She walked into the sheriff's station ready to get an interview with the sheriff himself. Sure he wasn't expecting her but she wasn't going to let that stop her.

She saw that the door to his office was wide open. She poked her head in and tapped on the door to get his attention.

FP looked up from the file in his hand as he peeked over his shoulder to see who it was. "Hello?" He turned to face her.

"Sheriff Jones," Alice looked at his tag. "Hello, I'm Alice-"

"Smith," FP nodded. "I know who you are."

"You do?"

"You're with the RIVW. I've seen your work," FP leaned against his desk and placed the file down beside him. He gestured for her to take a seat on the chair. "So what can I do for ya, gorgeous?"

Alice subtly blushed. She cleared her throat. "I wanted to know if I can get an interview with you for a story I'm working on."

"That being?"

"I'm looking into the mystery drug spur on the southside."

"Is that so?" FP crossed his arms. "What's this about?"

"There's someone dealing these new products called Jingle Jangle. I have reason to believe that its source traces over to the southside."

"Why is that?"

"Do you know anything about this illicit act?"

"I may have my eyes on the Ghoulies," FP simply said.

"The Ghoulies? What about those Southside Serpents?"

"The Serpents? No, I'm more than certain that they're not involved."

"Why?" Alice furrowed her eyebrows.

"I know a lot. I am the sheriff after all." FP shrugged off her question.

"I would think so," Alice nodded. "Are you open for a couple of questions?"

FP felt his phone vibrate and took it as a blessing. He checked his screen quickly. "I've got to get going. This is important."

"But I-" Alice didn't get to finish her sentence because he was out in a flash.

She ran into him at the diner the day after their first interaction. He was paying for his order as she was coming in. He wasn't in his sheriff's uniform so she could only assume he was off duty. "Thanks, Pop."

"It's no problem. Have a good one, FP." The man waved him goodbye.

FP noticed Alice at the door. He gave her a smile, "Hey."

"Hello," Alice said. "I see you're having a feast." She looked down at the big take out bag in his hands. It couldn't have been just for him. She didn't see a ring on his hand so she wondered who he was meeting.

"Yeah, just made a quick stop."

"So about that interview I mentioned, when would be a good time?"

"I don't know what to say. A lot of my work right now is confidential."

"Is there anything you can tell me?"

FP looked down at his wristwatch. "I've got to get going but I'll see you around."