Betty & Jughead

FP picked up a call while at work. "Yeah, this is Jones."

"Mr. Jones, hi," A cheerful voice spoke. "This is Betty Cooper." The famous Betty he's heard about. He was curious to know more about her when her name came up at the diner whilst he was with his son. "Jughead's-" At the mention of her last name realization struck his face, "Girlfriend. Yeah, I remember."

"Great, well, I'm calling because it's Jughead's birthday tomorrow and I wanted to see if maybe you would come see a movie with us, maybe grab dinner?"

FP's face lit up. He could see how much this girl cared about his son. "Does he know you're calling me?"

"No, I thought maybe I'd surprise him."

"Ah, man..." He thought it was very sweet of her. "There's one thing Jughead likes less than surprises and that's his birthday. Kid's never even had a party, never wanted one."

"What? Never?"

"Mhmm. Anyway, I think the best gift that I could give to Jughead would be to stay away." FP loved his son, but he knows how disappointed he's made him. He wasn't exactly the father he knows he truly deserves. "But I appreciate the call, Betty." He hung up before she could say any more.

She didn't give up though. She made a trip down to his job much later.

FP walked into the trailer on the construction site. To his surprise the young girl was inside waiting for him. "Mr. Jones," He looked over at her. "I didn't mean to ambush you. I know you don't do birthdays but Archie and I are having a few of Jughead's friends over at Archie's house and I bet it would mean so much to Jughead if you came."

"Man, you don't quit, do you?" FP saw a piece of her mother in her personality. She was bold and had grit. He liked that about her for his son. His son found himself a kind of girl that he had wished he had fought for.

"Rarely, if ever." Betty smiled. "I really want to do something special for him. And you being there...that would be special." She had him there. He knew what it would mean to not only Jughead but her if he went for him.

Betty was very determined to do this for Jughead that it took up most of her free time, including a chat with her mother.

Alice happily entered the newspaper room where her daughter was. "Great news, Betty. I just had a terrific meeting with Principal Weatherbee, who agrees that the Blue and Gold can benefit greatly from my professional guidance as your new advisor."

"That's great, mom." Betty took a seat.

"So what are we working on?"

Betty looked down at the notepad on the desk, "A list of supplies for Jughead's birthday party."

Alice took in a small breath and took a seat beside her. "You're really falling for this Jones boy, aren't you?" She wasn't a fool. She could see it in her eyes. Those Jones men were always of the alluring kind.

"Mom, when you and dad started dating, did you tell him everything about yourself?"

Alice pursed her lips at the thought. She knew she didn't trust the man enough to confide in him but with the feeling of entrapment she felt the need to. In order to look out for her desired future. "I sure did and I wish I hadn't." She admitted. "I shared things with your father. My secrets, fears, doubts. And he ended up using them against me."

"What secrets?"

The biggest to come to mind was her son. Everything about him. His existence, Hal practically forcing her to give him away, his real father. "Let's just say that there are some things about myself that I struggle with." Truth be told she struggled with the guilt of giving up such an innocent baby boy. It's a secret she has had to bottle inside of her for years. She wasn't allowed to have him. She wanted him with all of her heart but couldn't have him.