A Night To Remember (Version 2)

The memory of yesterday's tryst just can't seem to leave his mind as he dresses himself for work. He doesn't know if it's a lingering cloud nine trance or if the world is trying to let him know that he's finally managed to be in a good place with the very woman who holds his heart. All he knows is that he thinks he can commit to making it work this time around. For her and for them. He doesn't want to avoid his feelings for her the way he did when they were young and naive. Those strong feelings were foreign to him back then, not understanding what they were after never having experienced it before her, but being with her now reminds him that it isn't so scary if they learn to work on communicating it together.

He grabs his silly uniform hat and keys and makes his way to work before he runs late. He doesn't want to let Pop down, especially with a little favor he was hoping to ask of him.

A while into his shift, he gets a surprise.

The diner door opens and gets FP to mindlessly turn to look to see who came in. His face lights up at the sight of Alice.

"Al, hey, how's it going?" He walks in her direction with a tray full of dirty dishes.

"Just finished rehearsals. You?"

"Just bussin' tables. Fortunately, it's not too busy today." He quickly sets the tray in the back and meets her at the counter. "You're in the high school musical. Can you believe it? Wait, that's stupid of me to ask. I mean, duh, of course, you do. You're in it."

She doesn't look directly at him, practically ignoring him as it is. He frowns but brushes it off.

"Maybe I can swing by?" He leans closer to her over the counter. "Check it out? I was actually gonna ask Pop if I can leave early to make it."

"Oh. I don't think it's a good idea." She tells him shortly. "Sorry."

FP furrows his eyebrows. He takes offense to that. He scoffs. "Wow." He can't believe it.

"It's too risky. The kids will be there and I can't risk Betty finding out. It'll ruin what little relationship we have left that I'm trying my hardest to fix."

He glares at her. "And us? Aren't we fixing our relationship?"

She shakes her head, unsure of how to answer. "I can't lose her too."

"Where does that leave me?" He scoffs. "You came to me yesterday. I thought things were good between us for once. But maybe I'm only good for one thing." He takes a step back. "You know what's funny? You were afraid our kids were going to make the same mistakes we did, but it turns out, we're the ones making them all over again." With that being said, he storms off into the kitchen. He mutters something under his breath. "I'm the idiot for falling in love with you."

+

Betty had spoken to her father, and it took a lot of convincing, but she believed she got through to him. Her mother has been awfully sad recently , and if reconciling with her father would make things even slightly better for her, she would take the risk.

Once she got her father on board, she asked him to come home and talk to her mother.

"Alice?" Hal enters the house with two bouquets of flowers.

Alice stops with the dishes and looks back. She gives Betty a knowing look; it's her assumption that she had something to do with this.

Hal approaches the women. He gives one bouquet to Betty.

"Thank you," Betty accepts them.

"You're welcome." He then tries to give Alice hers, but Alice stops him.