A Night To Remember

2x18

Alice pushes the diner's door open and scans the room for the one and only FP Jones. Her face lights up the second she spots him. After the night they spent together, she believed that things were heading in a positive direction for them.

"What's happening, handsome?"

"Just bussin' tables, Alice. You?" He walks around her to take the dirty dishes to the kitchen.

"Just finished rehearsals," She can't believe she hasn't had the chance to tell him all about it. "I'm in the high school musical. Can you believe it?"

FP looks back at her and continues with what he's doing, practically ignoring. She frowns but follows him anyway.

"Maybe you'll come by?" She leans closer to him over the counter. "Come check it out."

"I'm working, Alice." He tells her. "Sorry."

Alice furrows her eyebrows. She takes offense to that. "Wow," She can't believe it. She should have expected nothing more from him. "Really? This old act again?"

He walks away, but she's not letting him off the hook so easily. She follows him again. "You know what's funny? I was afraid our kids were going to make the same mistakes we did, but it turns out, we're the ones making them all over again."

With that being said, Alice storms out of the diner. FP stands silently as he watches her go. The regret on his face was no use.

+

Betty had spoken to her father, and it took a lot of convincing, but she believed she got through to him. Her mother has been awfully sad recently , and if reconciling with her father would make things even slightly better for her, she would take the risk.

Once she got her father on board, she asked him to come home and talk to her mother.

"Alice?" Hal enters the house with two bouquets of flowers.

Alice stops with the dishes and looks back. She gives Betty a knowing look; it's her assumption that she had something to do with this.

Hal approaches the women. He gives one bouquet to Betty.

"Thank you," Betty accepts them.

"You're welcome." He then tries to give Alice hers, but Alice stops him.

"I'm allergic to peonies," Alice points out, a tad irritated. "But how would you know that? We've only been married for decades."

Betty swoops in and takes the flowers.

"I'd really like to come back home, Alice." He tells her. "If you'll have me."

Alice listens to his plea. She even thinks about it. She looks over at Betty who's watching them.

Hours ago, she would have denied him completely, but things had changed. She's hurt, and right now she feels lonely. Maybe she could make the best out of it.

"If we do this, Hal, there can't be any more secrets between us." He understands that. There's a lot they need to work on to make their marriage work. "Which means...Betty?"

"Yeah?" She responds.

"Honey, can you give us a moment?"

"Yeah." She sets the flowers down and excuses herself.

"There's something that you should know about Chic." Alice decides that in order to make this really work, she has to be honest too. If she can't make things work with FP, then she might as well try to make amends with Hal. It beats being alone.