Hands

FP came home from work early. He had a long day at the office. He walked into the house and rolled his neck. It felt sore after having to look down at paperwork all day. "Alice?" FP called out as he stepped further into the house. He shut the door behind him and hung his jacket on the coatrack.

He could hear the television on so he knew someone was home. A smile perked up on his face when he listened closely to the familiar voice on the screen. He moved over to stand in front of the tv and watch Alice give her report.

Alice came walking down the stairs and saw FP fondly watching her on the tv. It made her happy to see how much he was genuinely enjoying watching her. "Are you a crazy fan that broke into my house?" She looped her arms around him from behind. "Let it be known that my man is the sheriff of this town so don't try anything he wouldn't be too happy about."

"I've been warned," FP chuckled. He put his arms behind himself to hold her. "I bet he's a lucky, lucky man."

"I'd say I'm even luckier," She hummed.

FP thought about how far they both have come. They were living together. They had their beloved son in their lives, not only him but their own other children, his half siblings, to share a life with. They were stable and each other's support.

Alice moved one of her hands to his heart and the other to where his Serpent tattoo resided. FP looked down at her hand placements. He knew what symbols were inked on his skin. One hand was simply against his small jellybean tattoo but the other was on a big double headed snake. The one with a bigger story.

He didn't think he would see the day he would join the Serpents. He knew it was in his blood but like Alice he wanted to do something more with his life. Once he joined he did find a family with the Serpents. He couldn't say he regretted being part of the gang but he can admit he originally didn't want to be one.

There were dangerous days that really open his eyes these days. He looked back on those memories and knew that he was lucky to be where he was now. It also made him think about the woman that was with him right now. The woman he fell in love with. His ex wife was nothing compared to this woman. His ex wife would encourage him to put himself in a risky situation, join him even, but this woman would make him reconsider. She would lead him in the right direction. She would make him choose the safe option because he knew damn well she didn't want to risk anything to happen to him.

"Al, would we have been where we are now if things hadn't changed?" He turned around to face her.

"What do you mean?"

"If I wasn't this northside miracle would you have ever loved me?" FP insecurely asked.

"Why wouldn't I love you?" Alice furrowed her eyebrows. She placed her hand behind his neck, playing with his hair. "I love you for who you are." She tapped on his chest. "I don't see why that would change. Northside, southside, whatever. It wouldn't matter."

"I thought you wanted nothing to do with the southside," FP was convinced she disavowed them the second she left. He feared she would grow to despise him again if he left this new life behind.

"FP, honey, I'm a southsider at heart whether I choose to appreciate or not." Her fingers moved to stroke his beard. "I may not be on the southside anymore but it doesn't change who I am. It shouldn't change you either. We are still the same people we once were."

"Am I an angry, drunken man?"

"No, baby, you are a charismatic, moral man. You look out for the people you love. You do whatever it takes to make them happy." She gave him a warm smile. "A wise woman could even say you're a real man."

"I take that that's you," FP smiled just like her. He took a second to take in what was in front of him. He wanted to appreciate the love of his life, Alice Susanna Smith. He was grateful for her beautiful blue eyes. He could see his own joy reflected upon them. He could only imagine what she saw when she looked into his eyes. He was grateful for her smile. When he saw it he could see how real it was. It wasn't the smile she would put on when she was with Hal. There was also her touch. He loved their connection. To him when she would rest against him or simply grab onto him he felt loved. It was a form of intimacy he yearned for. He was fortunate to have Alice so he knew he wouldn't be this happy if he ever lost her again.

Alice could see him deep in his thoughts. He had a goofy look on his face. "Whatcha thinking so hard about?"

"I love you too," FP was able to easily confess.

"You do?" And there it was. That smile he loved so much.

He grabbed her face and eagerly kissed her because to him his whole world was in his very hands.