Together

Strange was one way of describing their situation. Unusualness has been present for them all in this town, but this was the cherry on top of it all. They were not used to the change yet. Not only did they share an illegitimate older brother, but their parents were seeing each other, again? The newly official couple did their best to ease it into their family. They have all been living under the same roof for a while now. The reconciliation was just an add on.

Betty heard murmurs as she walked into the kitchen. Her mother was spreading butter on her toast as FP stood beside her pouring coffee into his travel mug. He whispered something into her ear that made her giggly. She brought her toast up to his mouth and he took a small bite out of it.

Betty joined Jughead by the kitchen island. He pecked a kiss on her lips and slid her a bagel. They silently watched their parents.

"Are you going to be busy today?" FP asked Alice as he picked up his holster and began to put it on.

"Nothing too time consuming. I have one news report to film today. That's all. Why?"

"Charles brought in a new case to look at. I thought that maybe you could join us if you had the chance. We could use the extra pair of eyes."

"I would love to."

"Great. I'll see you down at the station later then. I have to get going now." He hooked an arm around her and pulled her close. Alice placed her hand on the back of his head. He leaned down and gave her a kiss goodbye. The teenagers shifted their eyes away.

"I'll be there by noon," Alice smiled against his lips.

"Can't wait," FP reached for his coffee. He strolled out of the kitchen after saying bye to the three. "Jellybean, are you ready? I'm leaving now!"

"I'm coming!" Her feet shuffled down the hallway upstairs. She jogged down the stairs with her backpack in her hand.

"Alright, to the car. I've got to drop you off quick before going down to the station." FP opened the front door for her.

"Is the coffee for me?" She tried to grab it.

"Don't even think about it," He held it up high. "You don't need to be all jittery in class."

"Worth a try," She shrugged and walked out. FP closed the door behind them.

Alice looked at the remaining two as she ate the remainder of her toast. "Do you two need a ride too?"

"It's okay. We're meeting Archie in a bit," Jughead answered and Betty nodded to that.

"Okay, I best be going then." Alice put her plate in the sink. "Don't be late." She grabbed her purse and keys from the counter and made her way out too.

*

At lunch Betty and Jughead joined Kevin and Josie at their table. Kevin noticed Betty's glum face as she picked at her food. As her best friend he picked up on these things. "Betty, everything okay?"

"Yeah, why?"

"You look like something's on your mind and it's clearly bothering you."

"You get the image of your parents all over each other out of your head," Jughead swallowed one of his fries.

"You think we don't know what that's like? My dad married her mom." Kevin gestured to Josie at his side.

"Yeah, well you two weren't dating each other when your parents started hooking up." Betty narrowed her eyes at him. "Or share a half brother."

"He's hot though."

The three gave Kevin a weird look. "What? It's true."

"It's just weird for us, okay?" Jughead confessed. "Like a year ago I would have expected my family to get back together one day. Now my dad is sleeping with my girlfriend's mom."