The Ride Back Home

Request by Alice1194

FP presses the phone up against his ear, holding it steady with his shoulder as he walks around the house cleaning up for Alice's visit.

"Baby, I'm sure everything is fine. It's probably just the craze of her FBI training and stuff. That's a lot." He assures her that Betty is just a bit preoccupied with her new career to be calling her too often to check up on things. "Jug told me how busy his latest writing project has been keeping him. I can't blame him for not checking in as often as he did before."

Alice sighs. "Maybe you're right. Sorry, I guess I'm still getting used to having an empty nest. It's not as lonely for you. You still have a daughter at home."

"Al, come on. I mean you have the twins to keep you busy, right? They love their grandma Allie."

"Don't call me grandma," She groans. "But I suppose it's kinda nice having the little ones around. I just wish it were more often. Cheryl holds onto them like a hawk."

"You're their only sane grandparent. You deserve a bit more time with them. You should talk to her."

"It's like talking to a wall with that one."

FP chuckles. "Reminds me of a stubborn someone."

Alice fondly rolls her eyes. "I am not."

"Uh huh, sure." FP sits to rest. He props his feet up on the coffee table. "You can show me when you get here tomorrow."

"I can bail and just stay home."

"No, I want to see you. I'll come down again if I have to."

"Hmm," She says. "Will you go down anywhere else?"

FP smirks. "I suppose I can make some arrangements."

"I'll hold you to it."

Before FP can say anything more he's distracted by the knock on his door. "You can do that. I've got to get going now. I'll call you later okay?"

"You have to go already?" Alice whines.

"Gladys is here."

"Oh."

"She's just dropping some things off for JB before she comes home from work." FP explains. He and Gladys have been on good terms for Jellybean's sake after not being legally tied to each other anymore. The divorce had resolved so many ill feelings towards each other. However, Alice isn't too keen to their friendship. It's something FP has picked up on.

"I don't get why she has to be there. JB isn't a child anymore. She's twenty years old."

"She's still switching off between us as she pleases while she's in school, Al. It's saving her a fortune on housing and food. We're lucky Jughead had a full ride as it was. JB got really good scholarships but it didn't cover everything like we hoped it would."

"I understand but she's not the thirteen year old you moved away for anymore. It just sucks that you're still there. I miss having you around all the time."

"Al...we've talked about this." He frowns. "She needs the both of us."

"I wasn't saying she doesn't deserve the luxury of both parents. I just...nevermind. Forget it. I'll see you tomorrow." She gets out before hanging up.