Breaking Point

5.10
Can our poor Alice ever catch a break?!?

***

The panic in his eyes was the only thing infesting her thoughts. No matter how much she tried, she couldn't stop thinking about her son in her arms. She had tried applying pressure to the open wound. She could not lose another child. Not to another bloodshed.

Alice didn't agree with any of the violence that occurred that night. She tried her best to get them all through the night. It was her grandchildren's birthday after all. She only wanted to have a happy night with her family. When her son showed up unexpectedly she was welcoming, but cautious. No bone in her body genuinely thought he would hurt them. She saw the good in her son. She knows he's not a safe person to be around but a part of her wanted to overlook that. She wanted her son. She needed him. She just couldn't risk to lose her son forever. She wanted her innocent son back. She wanted to remember the moments they shared as mother and son. The good times they had with him adjusting to the family. She wanted to hold onto those memories. The good memories. She wanted him to be happy for once in his life. She couldn't give him that then. She felt the need to give him that now. She wasn't a big fan of Chic, but she was willing to put those strong feelings aside for Charles's happiness. She saw how happy he was every time she visited him. She couldn't take that away, especially when she knew how terrible the heartbreak would be to get through.

Alice worried about Charles. She did more than worry though. She felt guilty for what she had done. Regardless of it having been an accident. They had hit the floor. She tried to move the gun away, but the trigger went off in the process. As his mother, her heart aches for his pain. She was meant to protect her baby boy, not shoot him.

Betty feared that her mother would spiral, again, like she had for Polly. She couldn't be any more right. She found the woman knocked out on the couch, hours after she told her about Charles's state in the ICU. Betty carefully took the empty wine glass from her hand and placed it on the table. She covered her mother with a blanket. This was the most peaceful she's seen her in a while. She didn't want to wake her up and take that away. Her brother was not on her good side right now, but for her mother she hopes he makes a speedy recovery. This was not what her mother needed right now. The wine bottle was empty again. That didn't sit well with her. She also noticed the nearly empty pill bottle on the table that also belonged to her mother. Her mother is not handling this in a healthy manner and she knows it.

Outside letting himself in with his copy of the house key was no other than FP Jones. After he received a call from War Baby at Shankshaw and was informed about his son's vital situation he came straight to town. He spoke to Tom, whom filled him in on some of the details. He knew he desperately needed to check on Alice and the family.

FP had expected everyone to be asleep so his intentions were to be quiet. He noticed how the living room light was still on though, so when he walked in his eyes darted over to the couch. Betty relaxed when she saw that it was just FP. She heard the door and was initially terrified. She knows prisoners were still on the loose. "Mr. Jones?"

"Betty, sorry for not giving a heads up. I heard what happened and came as fast as I could. How is she? How are you and the twins?"

"I'm going to be honest. Not so good, but she's finally resting. Dagwood and Juniper are upstairs sleeping. And to say that their ninth birthday was chaotic wouldn't really be enough."

"It's been a long day. Why don't you call it a night, too? I've got it from here."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive," FP nodded.

Betty knew he would know what to do to support her mother. That's why she also wanted to talk to him before she left them alone. "Mr. Jones, can I ask you something?"