Glimpse of Us

"Glimpse of Us" by Joji really made me think about Falice, especially within the perspective of Alice dating Frank and how he tends to resemble FP in a couple of ways.

***

It's awfully lonely around the house with an empty nest to call home. Her children are all grown up.

She would visit Charles in prison to keep him company, she liked to believed; but it was another way of keeping herself from feeling lonely. Charles may have done unspeakable things, but she would be a hypocrite if she called herself a saint. She doesn't approve of what he has done, but he is still her son and she only holds love for him in her heart.

Polly was never home. She has spent all of her time on the road ever since they came back from the Farm. She heals in her own way.

Polly's kids primarily live with the Blossoms. Alice has requested for more time with them, but Cheryl hangs onto them for dear life whenever they aren't with their mother. Alice understands that they're all she has of Jason left, but she wishes she would understand that she wants to feel like she still has someone to come home to and love.

Betty was off in the FBI taking after her brother's legal footsteps. She tried to come home to visit her mother but she was often busy with new cases. After she graduated college she didn't come home as often as she used to.

That leaves Alice all alone in a home that has been tainted by the trauma caused by her ex husband. The man she knew as her lover had turned that all around but with nothing but merely the thought of him left behind, she had nothing good here anymore.

She still thinks about him after seven long years. It was easier at first. They kept in touch, even tried long distance, but everything was put on pause when it got harder. Uncomfortable silence has reigned the space between them. It could take a single phone call to patch things up, but neither partner is brave enough to take that big step.

Her friends weren't around anymore either. She didn't have many to begin with, but it saddens her to feel their absence.

Right next door used to be her closest pal. Now that he has passed away it isn't the same anymore. His younger brother moving in was odd at first. It took time to adjust to, but his friendly, neighborly character did perk up a smile on her face from time to time. It was nice having a friend again.

He would come over to keep her company when he had time on his hands. She grew to like having him around. They would chat over a morning coffee or lunch.

Alice adjusted to his company and felt like she found peace again. She didn't want that to change.

Frank laughs. "You're kidding me."

"I'm not. Archie proposed to Betty when they were kids. Of course, Betty being who she is told him they were much too young. That put a halt on their marriage plans."

"That's actually kind of sweet," Frank smiles. "He seems to still really like her. What a story."

"Yeah," Alice shakes her head. "Out of all the boys she could have had chosen to date she picked the two that belonged to the men I was far too familiar with. It isn't that small of a town."

"That's so nineties."

"You're telling me," She chuckles.

Frank takes a second to reflect. "Isn't it weird to be here with me now?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I know you and my brother hooked up."

Alice gapes. "We did not."

"Did too," He teases. "You've locked lips. I know that."

"What happened to no kissing and telling?" She arches an eyebrow.

"So you admit it? Well, he only told me because he felt guilty about it."

"Why?"

"He knew you had a thing for FP. That's his best friend."

"FP and I weren't even dating when that happened. It was just a fling then," She shrugs. It was more than that, but they were too naïve at the time to realize what feelings they had for each other. "He wasn't bad looking. I was hot. We were both single. Making out didn't sound that bad of an idea."

"What about FP?"

"What about him?"

"I don't know. You two did end up dating eventually. You have a whole son together."

"We tried but he left. What more is there?"

Frank takes the chance to ask a question that has been on his mind. "So you don't have any feelings for him anymore?"

"I'll always love him," Alice answers truthfully. "He's the father to our son."

"You wouldn't say that about Hal." He points out.

"That's different." She bitterly spits and glares at him.

"Sorry," He apologizes. "I didn't mean it like that. I just...I had a crush on you growing up." He blushes. "Now, it's like I finally got my chance and I don't want to let you slip away. I don't want to be competing in a battle I'm destined to lose."

Alice softens up.

"I really like you, Alice. I do. A lot, actually." He reaches over for her hands. "I'm not just Fred's little brother anymore. You know, the one that had to watch him with his friends from the distance?"

"You've grown up."

"Yeah, that same little boy ended up in the army." Frank proudly tells her.

Alice stares at him. She looks deep into his eyes and her mind wanders. From the dark hair and rough beard on his face to the flannel and smell of cologne; she sees FP.

FP smiles back at her. This makes her feel the butterflies in her stomach.

"I'm sorry I wasn't here when you came back from the Sisters," FP tells her. "I regret enlisting, but most importantly abandoning you when you needed me most."

"Who knew the decision to join the army could easily change one life path?" Alice says.

"I haven't really thought about it like that," Frank tells her. "I guess my life could have been different if I never went to the army."

Alice sighs. FP's gone. He looks into Frank's eyes again. She's trying to push him out of her mind. She's trying to move on. It isn't easy. No matter how much she tries to convince herself that she's happy, she's only fine.

Frank is great. He's sweet and caring. There's nothing wrong with him. He even tells her he how he feels about her instead of pushing himself away when things get complicated. Something FP used to have trouble communicating. The thing is, he's not FP. No one will ever make her feel the way FP did.

Alice tries to teach her heart that this is good for her. She can't dwell on the past. For her own sanity, she needs to heal from the heartbreak.

She will always wonder if FP thinks about her too, if he has met anyone, or if he holds onto that hope of having and holding each other again.

"Yeah, life can be crazy that way." Alice swirls the drink in her hand.