Lovers' Quarrel 1

With a town as deranged as the one with pep it was not every day one got to step back and unwind. As the new sheriff, FP was often in the office trying to settle in or was out patrolling the town in his new cruiser. As for Alice, an undercover FBI informant, she had a lot on her plate to keep track of. She had a job to do and a personal life to balance.

FP closed the door to his office and pocketed his keys just in time for his break. Alice had been on his mind for a while now. He couldn't seem to concentrate because he couldn't stop thinking about her. He knew Alice was in town so with the very bit of courage he had been building up he knew he wanted to spend time with her before she was off to the Farm again. He wanted more than the sneaking around. The secret trysts were enticing, yes. A thrill that felt like their high school days. But that's what it was. Those days were fun, but they weren't perfect. He ended up losing her because it wasn't more than the fooling around. He didn't want a repeat of that again. He wanted to be serious this time around.

FP drove to her house in hopes of catching her there. He was basing himself on the thought of her being home.

He stood on the sidewalk with his hands in his pockets. He needed more of that courage he was working on to start walking up the steps.

He gazed at the house with the bright red door. He could see her in her living room talking on the phone. Unknown to him, she was on the phone with their long lost son. He could only see the way her face lit up to the sound of his voice. He wondered who she was speaking to. He hoped this wasn't a bad time, but at least he knew she was home.

He made his way up the steps to her door. He felt strange doing so. His heart was pounding fast against his chest. He was nervous. He wasn't sure how she would react but he had to tell her he wanted more. That they would figure it out together knowing it would be hard at first.

He knocked gently on the door. Alice wrapped up her call with Charles to answer it. She was surprised to see FP standing there when she opened the door. Surely she wasn't expecting to see him, especially since she has been very distant with everyone the past few weeks. "FP? What brings you by?" She asked but not without a simple tease. "I could have had a little heads up if you were expecting a booty call."

He shook his head. "This isn't a bad time is it?"

She stepped aside to let him in. He let himself in and Alice shut the door behind him. "Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, I just wanted to stop by. I haven't seen you in a while. I thought maybe we could talk or something." He shrugged. He was being honest. He wanted to be there with her. "I just miss being with you."

Alice offered him a smile. "I've missed you too." She gestured to the couch so they could sit. "It feels like we've both been busy. We keep on missing each other. You with your new job," She took a seat next to him. She played with the collar of his uniform. "And me at the Farm."

"It's like we don't see each other anymore." He frowned. "And I don't know, I just thought that maybe we could change that. I never know when I can see you. You're always off at the Farm. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you're finding closure there but I miss having you around." FP confessed. He supported her need for the Farm as far as he knew, but he also couldn't help but feel a little jealous that it kept her away. He wanted to be the one she could go to for these things. It felt like she only came to him for a physical release. "This is more than just the sex, right?"

"What do you mean?"

"When was the last time we talked without ending up in bed?" FP sighed. He turned his head to look directly at her. "I want more, Al. Do you want that too?"

"I thought we were doing fine," Alice said, but truth be told she was afraid of this. It wasn't that she didn't want this too. She just couldn't put in a full commitment right now. "Do we need to place a label on this? What about the kids?" Their kids were also a concern. They didn't know they were seeing each other. How would they react?