Flowers

Alice watched as Polly and Betty rolled around in the flowers. She treasured moments like these. Their precious laughter to the joy in their smiles.

They were growing up so fast that one day they weren't going to be her seven and six year olds anymore.

The girls were laying in a bed of white anemones. Those flowers were very dear to her. They held a significant place in her heart. So before she knew it she found herself thinking back to why they were special.

Alice ran. She would peek behind her every now and then to see if he was catching up to her. She giggled, knowing she had a good head start.

"Slow down, Al!" FP whined. "I'm getting tired!"

"You said you would catch me!" Alice paused where she was. It gave him the chance to walk over to her. The six year old made it to the blonde.

"Yeah, but you cheated." He huffed.

"Did not. I'm just faster." Alice stuck her tongue out at him.

"No," He shook his head. "It's just that I was running so much faster that I got tired." With that being said he decided to take a seat, so that's just what he did. He went right down where he was.

"FP, you're sitting on the pretty flowers." She didn't want to see the anemones squashed.

"There's more," He pointed out. They were surrounded by them. "And they're soft." He laid back. He could feel the delicate touch. "Lay down."

"What about the flowers?"

"It's okay. Lay down. It's nice."Alice pursed her lips as she thought. She gave in and laid down beside him. "See? Isn't it nice?"

"It smells pretty." Alice took in the lovely scent. "Ms. Crapabble says it's so bees can come kiss them."

"Are we going to smell like the flowers? I don't want a kiss from the bees, yuck."

"Ew, a bee doesn't want to kiss you."

"Why not? I'm not ugly."

"I thought you didn't want the bees to kiss you."

"Yeah, but it doesn't mean I'm not cute. My mom says I'm a dapper."

"What's that?"

"I dunno. But she calls me that and gives me lots of kisses."

"Kissy boy." She teased him with kissy faces.

"They're for my cheeks," He said. He felt like clarification was needed. "Kisses like my mom gives my dad," He pointed at his mouth. "are for moms and dads."

"I only have a mom." Alice frowned.

"Does she kiss your cheeks?"

"Yeah, she's my mommy."

FP was stuck on a thought. "Why do moms and dads kiss each other's mouths? Is it to know what they eat?"

"I don't think so," Alice said. A lightbulb went off in her head. She was a curious little girl. She wanted to know what would happen. She turned her head and leaned towards him.

"Then why-" FP turned to look at her but was met with her lips on his. She was aiming for his cheek, but ultimately failed. FP sat up. His eyes widened. "Are we moms and dads now?" The fear was clear in his voice.

Alice chuckled and sat up too. "No, silly, we're too little. We can't get married."

"Are you a bee that looks like a girl?"

"No, I just wanted to kiss your cheek."

"Why?"

"I dunno," She shrugged. "I wanted to."

"Oh," He simply said. "If we weren't little would we be married now because you kissed me?"

"I don't know. Maybe one day when we're older we can kiss to see if we're married moms and dads."

"Hmm, okay. We would have to check right here though. That's the only way to know."

Alice watched as a little boy in a beanie crown ran to join her daughters all of a sudden. She wondered who he was. The girls seemed to know him.

"This seat taken?" A masculine voice asked her. She glanced to her side to see a man with a baby girl in his arms. There was something so familiar about him. It took her a second to recognize him. It has been far too long. She smiled at him.

"No, not at all. Sit," She kindly said. "The flowers are taken anyway."

FP took a seat beside her on the bench. He looked over at the kids. "You know, I once thought I got married to a bee over there." A small smile creeped up on his face.

"Is that so?" She chuckled.

"Yeah, sadly I didn't. One thing turned out to be true though. The moms and dads part."

"Yeah," She took her eyes off of him to look at the kids. "It's nice, isn't it?"

"What are their names?" He referred to what he assumed were her daughters.

"Polly and Elizabeth." Alice was happy to name her pride and joys. "And yours?"

"He takes after me," FP looked at his son. "But I call him Jughead." He peeked down at the baby cradled in his arms. "This baby girl, thanks to her brother's insisting is Forsythia. But she's my little jellybelly." He pecked a kiss on her tiny cheek. "So...is the bee a married bee?"

"Yeah, she is." Alice answered.

"Damn, the dapper really wasn't a fast one after all."

"For now. She's currently in the process of becoming an unmarried bee again." She was in the middle of getting a divorce with her daughters' father. That caught is attention real quick. "Is the dapper giving kisses to a moms?"

"No. He's a dads, but he's also a bachelor." FP was a single father of two.

"If only he tried checking his luck in those flowers over there."

"Yeah, if only he did." He smirked. "Maybe he will in the future. It really is the only way of knowing."

"Maybe he will one day."