Merry Christmas

FP unlatched the tailgate of his truck. Charles jumped out of the passenger seat to go help him with the tree. "Grab the other end," FP yanked the top out and positioned it over his shoulder.

"We didn't need one this big," Charles huffed as he lifted his end of the tree.

"It's the first Christmas with the whole family home." It was their first Christmas with Charles in their lives, Jellybean back from Toledo, Polly home from the treatment center, Jughead home from Stonewall Prep, the twins from Thistlehouse, and Betty. Alice and FP couldn't be happier. "It's only right to go big."

FP led the way to the house. "Can someone open the door for us?" FP yelled as he got closer. He hoped one of the kids or Alice heard.

"Maybe we should have opened the door before getting the tree over here."

"I'm sure one of them heard us." FP heard banging on the front windows. It was the twins peeking out. Their tiny hands and faces were plastered against the window. "See they did," He made a silly face at the little ones and chuckled.

"You caught the attention of the two that can't reach the door handle."

The door was pulled open for them. "The tree is here," Jellybean announced.

"Al? Where do you want it?" FP stepped in.

She came up to him and pecked a kiss on his lips. "You can put it over there. I cleared a spot for it," She pointed to a corner by the fireplace.

"You heard her. Let's put it down before I get a splinter," Charles waited for FP to lead again.

The tree was finally set down in its perfect spot. The two men stepped back to admire it. FP hooked an arm around Alice's shoulders. "Do you like it? Charlie picked it out."

"It's perfect, honey."

"Hey, Chuck, did you get me what I asked for?" Jughead came out of the kitchen munching on one of the cookies that were fresh out of the oven.

"Yup, catch." Charles pulled a chocolate bar out of his pocket and tossed it at him.

Jughead held the cookie with his teeth to have his hands clear. He caught the bar and pocketed it safely. "Thanks."

"Jug, I told you those were for later." Betty scolded him for getting his hands into the cookie tray when she wasn't looking.

"It's just one. We'll survive."

"It wasn't even frosted yet."

Jellybean dug her hand into the Christmas decorations. "I call dibs on putting the star on top."

"You can't even reach," Jughead teased.

"Boy, be nice." Jellybean stuck her tongue out at him. "You too, Jellybean." FP caught her. "You can help decorate the tree with us. It's pretty big so we're going to need as many helping hands as possible."

Charles, Jughead, and FP being the tallest helped with the top of the tree. The girls helped Alice with every other inch they could reach. Even Dagwood and Juniper had their hands working at the bottom. The two hung ornaments aimlessly but adorably.

A few minutes later everything but the star was on the tree. Jellybean held onto the star so she was the one who got to put it on with a little help from FP. He gave her the boost.

Alice plugged the Christmas lights into the power outlet and they watched the tree light up. "It looks great, mom." Charles stated happily. He went into the basement to bring up the presents his parents had hidden. They helped him put them under the tree. "Santa came early."

•••

Polly and Charles poured the hot chocolate into mugs for everyone. Charles searched the refrigerator for the whipped cream. He found it on the bottom shelf. Polly looked into the pantry for marshmallows.

"Do you know where Betty left the little sprinkles she and mom used for the cookies?" Charles asked.

"They're probably in here too. If not in one of the drawers." Polly took out the marshmallows and the sprinkles. "Found them."

"Great, I-" Charles lost his train of thought when he heard the music playing in the other room. He and Polly both peeked out of the kitchen to see what was going on. FP was swaying Juniper from side to side as she sat on his shoulders. Alice held Dagwood in her arms and danced along to the music with him.

Rockin' around the Christmas tree
Let the Christmas spirit ring
Later we'll have some pumpkin pie
And we'll do some caroling

"They're such grandparents," Charles looked down at Polly.

"Hey, they're your parents," Polly shot back.

Jellybean, Jughead, and Betty stood on the stairs looking into the living room. They came down to see what was going on when they heard the music.

The twins were giggling, FP and Alice were dancing, and the two other were watching them from the kitchen. Polly and Charles locked eyes with the others. They shrugged at them. Charles disappeared but then popped out with a mug. He mouthed, "Hot chocolate?" It didn't take them long to join them in the kitchen. Each with their own hot chocolate to drink up. 

At the end of the song the couple put down the twins. Their little feet could be heard against the floor as they ran away hand in hand to find their mother. FP brought Alice into his arms, trapping her in a bear hug. He pecked a kiss on the top of her head. "When do you think those two are going to get tired of us?" She glanced up at him.

"Never if we sneak them treats every once in awhile."

Alice shifted her attention to the kids gathered up around the dining table, including the two little ones. Betty and Jughead both had on in their laps. They fed them tiny marshmallows.

Alice let out a happy sigh. "Look at them. Isn't that beautiful?"

"It's an amazing feeling, Al. I'm glad to be sharing this with you."

"I don't think I could have it any other way."

FP let her go and turned her around to face him. "You know, there's one last thing that needs to be done."

"And what's that?"

FP dug into his back pocket. "Look up," He cheekily smiled. They were standing under the mistletoe. "You know wha-" He didn't get the chance to finish his sentence because she grabbed a hold of his shirt and yanked him close, connecting their lips.

"Your children are here too," Charles directed at them.

"We know," They laughed. Alice wrapped her arms around FP's waist as he slung an arm around her. They went to go join the kids in the kitchen. "It's Christmas. I want to show her just how much I love her." The kids saw the heart eyes he was sending her way and the brightest smile on her face. "And I love this man just as much. Maybe even more."