Father & Son

Alice's phone rang on the table beside Jellybean. Jellybean looked up from her laptop. She noticed that it said Handsome. Knowing it was her father she yelled out for Alice. "Alice, my dad is calling you!" Jellybean decided to answer in case that it was important.

"Al, hey, do you have a sec?"

"Hey, dad. It's JB. She's in the bathroom right now."

"Oh, that's alright. I just had a quick question for her but you can probably answer it. Has your brother stopped by the house?"

"Which one?" She smirked to herself.

"The one not studying in Iowa."

"No, it's just me and Alice at home."

"Okay, well thanks, sweetheart. I've got to get back to work now. I'll be home after my shift."

"Bye, daddy." Jellybean hung up.

Alice came walking down the stairs. "Did you say something, dear?"

Jellybean glanced over at her. "Yeah, my dad just called. He wanted to know if Charles was here." She held her phone out towards her.

"Charles? I didn't know we were expecting him." Alice unlocked her phone to call him back. It rang once before FP answered. "FP, sorry I missed you before."

"It's alright, baby. I was just wondering if Charles was there, but Jellybean already answered that."

"I didn't know he was coming."

"He came to my office as I was leaving to check up on a place. He tagged along, but when we got there he excused himself. I had to stay back and finish up with the crew, so I don't know where he went off to. I was hoping he was there. I already tried calling him, but he doesn't pick up."

"Huh, why would he just leave like that? That's not like him."

"Al," FP paused. "When we arrived we found a dead junkie at the scene. It pretty much looked like what Keller found three years ago. Except whoever this guy was OD'ed on something weaker than what Mustang had in his system. Jingle Jangle."

At the mention of Jingle Jangle Alice remembered a conversation she had with their son about his past addiction. He opened up to her about it after Betty got the truth about what happened between him and Chic years ago out of him. "I think we both know why he left."

"I had a feeling," FP sighed. "Seeing it probably triggered something. I'm looking around for him, but I haven't had any luck."

"My poor baby."

"Do you have any idea where he would go? I stopped by the station and his car was gone. I already tried his apartment and the diner."

"I want to help."

"I need you to stay with Jellybean. How's she doing?"

Alice turned to see her busy playing Minecraft again. "She's playing her video game. Maybe you're right. I don't think we should worry her with this."

"I told her I'd be home after my shift. I'll try to be home with Charles by then."

"Where would you go if you were in his shoes?"

FP gave it a thought. "I think I've got an idea. Do you think you can send me the address to that one place you found Chic?"

***

Charles had a nice talk with a former neighbor of his. She was a sweet lady who used to greet him in the halls. It was easy to say she was more fond of him than Chic.