All I Want

When you said your last goodbye,
I died a little bit inside.
I lay in tears in bed all night,
Alone without you by my side.

Alice spent the whole night tossing and turning in bed. She couldn't seem to be able to sleep when she felt like a part of her was missing. She couldn't get herself to stop thinking about him. He might have physically left, but he couldn't seem to leave her mind. It was getting harder. She knew it would be hard but it has only now struck her that she wouldn't be able to handle it. She missed her man. She missed her soulmate. Why did it have to be this way? She wanted to know why. They were happy. It took years to get to where they were and it only took a blink of an eye for it to be taken away again.

She could feel the heartbreak taking over her body again. The excruciating pain teased every inch of her. It felt like she was saying goodbye to him all over again and she would think that going through it once was enough.

He had held her tight in his arms as he leaned against his motorcycle. The look in his eyes was all she needed to know that he was sorry for doing this. He wanted her to come but she couldn't. She had to stay and it only made it hurt more.

Their son was gone. His son would be leaving for the midwest soon. Her eldest daughter was gone. Her other daughter would be leaving soon for college, too. She thought he was lucky though. He still got to have his daughter. She on the other hand had no one. Not her grandchildren. Not one person she could call her friend. She was alone. FP was everything to her and now he was leaving.

She grabbed a hold of his face. The tears in his eyes were just like her own. She couldn't say goodbye. She just couldn't. She wanted to hold onto him forever.

"I love you, Al. This isn't a goodbye, alright?"

"You really mean that?"

"I will be back for you, baby. Don't you worry."

"I'll be waiting," A tiny smile formed on the corner of her lips before it dropped. "I love you, too, FP." She pulled his face up to hers. Her lips latched onto his. He pulled her closer to him. He didn't think he would be able to let go either.

FP pulled back to say something important. "There's something I wanted to give you, but I don't have it on me. I left it back at the house for you to find." He could see the curiosity in her eyes so he continued to explain. "I left it there for a reason. It was going to be too hard to do it in person. You'll find a letter addressed to you. It was meant to get to you years ago, but it never did. I held onto it for a reason. I want you to have it."

"You wrote me a letter?"

"It's only fair that you get it now."

"Where is it?"

"You'll find it when the time is right. I promise." FP pressed his forehead against hers. He has yet to let go of her. "You'll just know."

The chatter of their children started to fill their ears. Betty and Jughead were coming towards them hand and hand. Jellybean was at their side. They had given their parents a moment alone.

FP pressed a kiss on Alice's forehead then stood up straight. It was time to say goodbye to his son, too. She watched him pull his son into a hug. It was all happening so fast. In the blink of an eye he was driving away with Jellybean and she was holding onto Betty's hand fighting more tears from falling. She just wanted to know why it had to be this way.