Zunami Part 2

"Nuh-uh, no way. This place is a death trap." Otis continued to freak out, aiming his gun at the door briefly before lowering it again.

"Calm down, dude." I groaned as I sat down, leaning against the drawers they would store the bodies in back in the day- rather than, you know, wherever they land.

Tommy sat on my left, Cassandra on my right, while everybody else sat or stood in various spots of the small area.

Otis said nothing more as we fell quiet once again, listening to the Z's that had just entered the building shamble about on the other side of the door, trying to figure out where their next meals had gone.

"I wonder where they're all going..." Murphy's voice trailed off, lost in thought as he watched the feet of zombies pass the small, only window in the room.

"Nowhere, they're zombies." Otis muttered, keeping a close eye on the door, rifle slightly raised at all times.

"Be glad they don't have a leader." Our mission responded, turning around to look at all of us.

He's right.

If the Z's had a leader, what would that mean for the sake of humanity? These things are deadly enough as it is, what would happen if they had an actual goal? What would happen if zombies became conscious once again?

"Now what?" Murphy's voice brought me out of a rabbit hole of thoughts I would rather not go down anyway.

"We wait them out." Roberta responded calmly. Right now, that's our only option. There's no way we have enough ammo or energy to get through the Z's on the other side of that door, and even if we did? We wouldn't make it through that hoard.

"We can't just stay here and wait to die." Murphy sounded slightly shocked at the lack of a badass plan from our leader as he made his way over to her.

Suddenly, Tommy looked towards me, but not at me. More like over my shoulder, at the drawer I was leaned against.

"Do you hear that? Or is that just in my head?" He mumbled, sitting up slightly. I did the same when I heard what he was referring to; scratching coming from just behind my head. The rest of the group looked towards us when it caught their attention as well.

"I hear it." I responded, confirming that he wasn't just going crazy due to lack of sustenance.

"I think it's coming from here." He motioned to the drawer in question, which again was right behind me. Thankfully, whatever was on the other side couldn't get that door open.

10k, Cassandra and I all stood and took a step away from the door as everybody watched, the tension in the room slightly spiked.

"I hope it's rats." Cass spoke through the exhaustion in her voice, hugging her waist as she stared at the cubby.

"Aw, damn!" Doc huffed as he sat up from the autopsy table he was laying on, sliding off it to stand on his feet. "How's a guy supposed to relax with all that going on?" Annoyed, he walked over to Thomas and I, resting a hand on each of our shoulders.

"Got a plan?" I questioned, eyeing the drawer that either had something harmless, or very deadly behind it.

Welcome to the apocalypse, where everything's a gamble.

"I'll open it, you two pike it." The old man didn't give us a choice as he let his hands fall from our shoulders, walking over to the wall of doors. With a glance and a shrug, 10k and I grabbed our knives and followed him, standing to the right while he stood on the left, his hand on the handle.

"Don't open that drawer!" Otis raised his voice in alarm. "Just leave it alone."

"Calm down." Cassandra and I responded in unison, both of us fed up with his skittish behavior. Doc ignored him, looking up at 10k and I to see if we were ready. With the two of us shooting him a nod, he bowed his head once before starting the countdown.