Sisters of Mercy Part 2

We were driving through the desert of Nevada in a nice SUV we found outside of Chester's, about 250 miles outside of Salt Lake City. Warren was behind the wheel, as always. Doc, Cassandra, Mack and Addy were in the backseat while I sat on the floor by their feet. 10k was standing out of the sunroof. But Murphy? He was in the passenger's seat scarfing down a can of beans.

Let me tell you something; these beans stink. I don't know what the hell kind of beans they are, but holy hell they could use some Febreze. The entire truck smelled like ass mixed with rotting flesh and general dirtiness- most of which coming from that can.

We were all making various faces of disgust, well except for Tommy since he was half way out of the vehicle already. Doc ended up rolling his window down; and then Murphy burped. Oh, God the smell.

"Oh-" Doc cut himself off and stuck his head in the fresh air coming from his window.

"Fucking pig." I muttered as I stood, using Mack's knee to help me up. I set a hand on 10k's stomach and had him move back so I could stand with him in the sunroof. It was just big enough for both of us to fit with our guns- but only just. I could basically hear his thoughts with how close we were.

"Hey."

"Hey." I took a deep breath of fresh air. Besides the smell of the desert, I could smell the pine scent coming off of my boyfriend. I will forever be confused as to how he always smells so good, and how he always smells like the woods even when we're hundreds of miles away from any trees.

"Woah, Warren- slow up here will ya?" Doc questioned. I looked to my right to see half of a zombie on the side of the road. It wasn't just any zombie either- it was a kid, maybe 13 or 14. The only real details I could make out was that it was a boy wearing some sort of flowered shirt.

"It's just a kid." Cassandra spoke sadly, and a thought occurred to me. What the hell was a kid doing way out here? I haven't seen any signs of life for a hundred miles.

"That is not a kid." Murphy spoke monotonously, as if the thought of a child going through that much pain didn't bother him. "It's zombie roadkill." Nobody answered, we just sat, or stood there quietly- almost as if we were paying our respects. Before we got too far, I aimed my rifle and gave the poor guy mercy.

"You okay?" Thomas asked as I held my rifle behind my neck, holding my arms on either side of it like I was a construction worker holding his trusty shovel for a break.

"Yeah, I'm okay." I reassured. He nodded and looked ahead as I relaxed my arms.

"10 o'clock." 10k spoke as we came up on another zombie child. This one was fully intact, walking alongside the road with a bag on his back, sporting a flowered shirt yet again. Another one?

"Another kid?" I questioned, as if I thought my eyes were deceiving me. Tommy nodded.

"Not anymore." Murphy retorted as an answer to my question. I glared at him through the roof.

"Stop." Addy choked out. "Warren, stop. It's just a boy- stop!" She demanded louder. Our leader did as she was told and put on the breaks. No sooner than the truck ceased its momentum did Addy jump out, Z-Whacker in hand, and walk up to the young Z. Thomas seemed to notice the puzzled look on my face and set his large hand on my shoulder.

"What's wrong?" I shook my head slightly, in thought as I watched Addy.

"Something about this is weird to me. Two young boys in the same type of shirt just a couple of miles between each other? Tell me that's not suspicious." Tommy simply nodded and looked back over at our friend.

Addy made her way in front of the boy and held her weapon in a striking position- then froze. She didn't move as the threat drew closer, as if she was in a trance.