Sisters of Mercy Part 3

"Just up there." Sam pointed to two rock cliffs that were connected via metal gate as Warren drove down the valley between them. Man, Utah has some pretty cool rock formations.

"Anybody home?" Doc wondered out loud as we passed a sign that read 'no trespassing' in bold black letters.

"Doesn't look like it." Mack mumbled as Warren parked the truck.

"Mack, you wanna check it out?" She suggested as she turned the engine off.

"Yeah." He agreed as he pulled his gun from the holster. Mack opened the door and jumped out, gun at his side as he walked towards the metal gate.

"Get back in the truck!" A woman shouted. I peered through the window to see a dozen women standing on top of both rock formations- heavily armed. Mack turned in a slow circle to look at all of them. "You're not welcome here!" The same woman warned. Mack quickly put his gun away and held his hands up to show he didn't mean any harm to them.

"Hold on, hold on! It's okay! We're friendly! We just-" He was cut off by one of the ladies taking a shot at his feet. He stumbled back as Doc opened the door for him, and I attempted to get out to protect him but Thomas grabbed my wrist and pulled me back.

"Stop, stop! It's fine! Just listen to me for a second! We have-" Another shot at his feet. He ran back to the door and ducked behind it, leaning on the seat. "I thought you said they were friendly, Sam." Mack uttered through gritted teeth. The woman took another shot at him, causing Warren to throw her door open and rush out, her hands in the air.

"Stop, don't shoot!" She begged quickly. "We have your boy! We have Sam!" Our leader told them what Mack had attempted to. Suddenly, a new voice came from behind the gate.

"Hold your fire! Open the gate." She ordered her guards, who obliged quickly. Sam jumped out and ran up to the mean looking woman when she left her fortress.

"Ms. Helen, it's okay. They just need food- they're nice." He reassured her. I jumped out the second 10k let go of my wrist, and between Doc and I we got Cassandra out.

"It's good to see you, Sam." Helen spoke admiringly she placed a hand on his shoulder. "Why don't you go inside and find your mother? I'm sure she's anxious to see you."  Sam nodded and ran inside the walls as the leader of, well, whatever this place is scanned our group. Mack, 10k and Murphy were all in the truck, but the rest of us were standing in front of it; Doc and I holding Cassandra up.

"That you for bringing him back. Sometimes our kids get cabin fever, and decide to go exploring." Helen explained. A red flag went up for me. First of all, this bitch is clearly lying. Second of all, Sam told us he was 'going to Salt Lake City to see his dad'. That doesn't sound like 'cabin fever' to me. Helen looked between Doc and I, eyeing Cass carefully.

"What's wrong with you?" She questioned our wounded soldier.

"It's infected." She stated simply.

"Oh, that could be dangerous." The middle-aged woman spoke with care.

"Yeah, it could." Doc agreed sadly.

"We can help you. You've arrived at The Sisters of Mercy." Helen declared proudly. I heard one of the car doors open and looked over my shoulder to see Murphy stand.

"Anytime now!" He remarked. I glared at him, telling him to 'shut the hell up and get back in the car before I come over there and beat your ass' with my eyes.

"You don't have to stay!" Helen snapped back at him.

"Yeah, he does." I muttered.

"We're a team." Warren explained. Helen chuckled slightly.