Murphy's Law Part 1

"Do you think we'll ever see them again?" Cassandra's timid voice broke the comfortable silence that had brewed as we drove through the barren landscape of South Park, Colorado.

"Mack and Addy?" Warren questioned to confirm they were the two in question, even though it was obvious. "My heart says yes. But my mind?"

"Your mind says 'no'." I finished her sentence, having had the same thoughts myself. I shifted uncomfortably on the floor at 10k's feet. I've been sitting in the same position for a couple of hours and cramps were starting to form as a result. Tommy grabbed my arm gently as he had me get up and move into his lap.

Awkward? A little. Comfier than the floor? Much.

I leaned myself into him while he wrapped his arms around my waist, listening to Doc as he spoke.

"I was kinda hoping they'd make it with us to the promise land."

That was the last thing said on the topic, nobody else really knowing what to say. I absentmindedly played with the hair at the back of 10k's neck as I thought about our lost friends. He seemed to relax at my gesture as he leaned back into the seat, his arms falling from my waist to my lap.

My head fell onto his shoulder as I let my eyes flutter shut, giving them a rest from the bland scenery around us.

"Now what?" Warren muttered as she gradually slowed the vehicle to a stop.

"Heads up, everybody." Doc spoke, the sound of- what I assume was, him taking his sunglasses off accompanying his warning.

I opened my eyes and craned my neck to the side to see what obstacle awaited us this time.

"I hade roadblocks." Tommy mumbled, answering my question almost immediately. There were a bunch of cars blocking the road; a large, white limousine spanning from one shoulder to the other right in front.

"Can't you just push that thing out of our way?" Murphy suggested.

"No, thanks. I'd like to hold on to this truck." I shot down his idea, not feeling like walking for God knows how long in this heat.

"Couldn't have said it better myself." Warren agreed and she looked for a way around the large obstruction. Finding one, she pulled off the road to the right, driving through a broken fence and into a field. By the looks of it, we weren't the first ones to do this.

"Well, this golf course has seen better days." Doc joked. Well, I guess that explains why this field looked like it was taken care of Pre-Z. I stared out the window as we passed an old, caged-in golf cart, a single Z trapped inside as it clawed at the barrier separating it from us.

"This is so sad." Murphy muttered as he shook his head, seemingly disagreeing with the condition of the area. "I learned to play in prison; always wondered what it'd be like to hang out with the real 'Country Club' types." He finished his monologue as we approached an old wooden bridge.

"Think that bridge will hold this truck?" I questioned, my growing doubt made clear by my tone.

"Better test it first." Warren nodded once before parking just before the overpass, turning the engine off and climbing out. The rest of us followed our leader, walking over to the bridge as a group.

"Looks pretty solid." Warren observed as we walked to the center of it, myself jumping slightly to ensure I couldn't feel movement.

"What are you doing?" Tommy questioned with a grin while he watched my odd action.

"Testing the bridge?" I questioned stupidly, thinking it would be obvious. He chuckled.

"You're not even close to the weight of that truck."