Misadventures Part 3- "Greif and Revelations"

It's been 6 hours. 6 hours since Roberta had to Mercy Charlie. We set up camp without her, since she ended up crying herself to sleep in the truck. None of us had to the heart to wake her up.

The rest of us were sitting around the fire, eating some of the food Steve must've left for us in the truck- we only noticed it when we were out of harm's way.

"I still can't believe he's gone." Addy spoke up, breaking the silence that had surrounded us.

"I know, it all happened so fast." Mack agreed, picking at an orange.

"I feel bad for Warren, she isn't doing well." Doc spoke solemnly as he took the last bite of his apple.

"They said 'I love you' before he died." I mumbled, tossing my orange peels into the fire.

"That's sad." Cassandra sighed as she ate a pea.

"He shouldn't have jumped in front of the bullet like that." Murphy muttered- even he was upset.

"All of his hope was in you. Don't let him down." I warned. He just nodded.

"I just wish I had that shot. I could've saved him." Thomas beat himself up.

"No one could've predicted what would've happened, 10k. It's not your fault." Addy consoled him, he just shrugged.

"All I know is I'm gonna miss the guy." Doc looked into the fire, the rest of us nodding in agreement.

"Do you think she's gonna pull through?" Mack questioned the rest of us about Warren's current state.

"I don't think, I know. She's strong, I'm sure she'll grieve for a few days- but I think she'll come back with more determination than ever." I remained optimistic.

"I hope so." Cassandra agreed.

"You two are taking first watch, right?" Mack questioned 10k and I, both of us nodding. "Keep an eye on her. In case she wakes up, you know? Make sure she eats and everything." We nodded again as I looked in the direction of the truck.

"She's not a baby, you know." Murphy mumbled. "She can take care of herself."

"Maybe she can, but it wouldn't hurt to let her know we have her back. Including you, Murphy." Addy spoke as she finished her corn.

"Whatever, I'm going to bed." He retorted as he stood and walked to his tent.

"Good riddance." I mumbled as he disappeared inside the cloth structure.

"I mean, look on the upside. At least he's with his wife and kids now." Doc mustered up as much enthusiasm as he could.

"I'm sure Amy and the girls are happy to see him." I nodded. That's a good way to look at things.

"I wonder if he's still watching over us, you know?" Mack spoke his mind.

"I think he is. I mean, look at where we are. On some beaten up trail in the woods without a zombie in sight. I think he's possessing them or something to make them leave us alone." I joked, everybody else letting out breathy laughter.

"Sounds like something he would do. We were his family." 10k agreed.

"Well, hopefully he keeps it up so I can get some sleep." Doc chuckled as he stood. "Goodnight guys."

"Goodnight." We all replied as he made his way to his sleeping bag.

"Yeah, I think I'm gonna get some rest too. Today took a lot out of me." Cassandra followed Doc's lead and climbed into her sleeping bag a few yards away.