Chapter 9: You Found Me.

“Since you’re just a teen monthly rent will be $100, there will be no loud music, parties or excessive noise. I expect the apartment to be clean. Electricity and gas will come out of your weekly pay which is $20 each week.” The Asian man said as he took me up the back steps of the Laundromat to the apartment over head. The back stairs were damp and cool, dark but there were lights brightening the way. My dad helped me with my suit cases but there were only two and then my duffle bag and a couple boxes and my TV. I’ve never thought I’ve had so much stuff ever.

The Asian man, Mr Yong told me the ground rules of the apartment. He said that I’ll basically be paying nearly $200 a month for this apartment which is okay since now I have two well paying jobs. I was filled with sadness as I could still feel Peasnie’s death grip wrapped around my leg. She didn’t want me to leave so badly she made herself into a cling-on and clung onto my leg. She cried for me not to leave but she needs to understand that I needed too. The twenty minute drive was painfully hard and quiet. I just wanted to know Peasnie is okay. Before I left the house she was making herself sick she was so upset. It was a hard sound to hear but Dad said its best we go before she gets even more upset.

Mr Yong stopped at the door at the top of the stairs and turned to me. He was an older man, about my dad’s age. He has black hair that was greying and becoming thin. He has an accent which makes it difficult to understand him but I manage. He opened the apartment door before turning to me, he handed me a silver key. It was dark and a cool breeze swept down the steps.

“You start work at six, rest up.” He spat at me. I nodded in agreement. Mr Yong crept back down the stairs letting me and my dad go up into the apartment. The light from the High Street shone into the apartment. It had one bedroom, a bathroom, a kitchen and living quarters. In the bedroom was a dresser a double bed and a nightstand; no curtain, no bedding nothing. The bathroom had a shower curtain. The kitchen had a few plates and bowls, a couple spoons, forks and knives, a stack of cups and a few mugs and the necessities, like pots and pans. There was a couch in the living room with a coffee table and a TV stand. I had everything else.

Dad set my bags down in the door way and looked at me as he flipped the light on. The bright light burned my eyes as it brightened the dreary room. When my vision cleared I looked at my dad with a grim expression, he turned the look as his hands fell into his pockets.

“We’re only doing this because it’s what’s best for the family.” He told me with a groaning voice. I nodded and frowned.

“You should get back home before Peasnie drives mom up the wall with asking where I am and when I’m coming back.” I told him with a light tone. He chuckled and nodded in agreement.

“I’ll drop her off after school tomorrow, she’s gonna spend the first week with us but you can bring her over here on Friday after school then after work I’ll bring her suitcases.” He said with a soft tone that made me smile. I was so happy that Peasnie’s spending the afternoon with me and she’s moving in on the weekend.

“Okay, I guess I’ll see you tomorrow.” I smiled forcefully and just like that he said his Good-Byes and left the apartment. I might be seeing her tomorrow afternoon but that’s more than just three hours of school. It’s still numbing that she was so sad when I left. Her cries filled my head painfully.

“Daddy! Don’t go! I’m sorry, I love you!” No matter how many times I told her it wasn’t her fault she still told me she was sorry. It’s heart breaking but it needed to be done. I didn’t bother putting anything away; I just made the bed in the complete dark only lights were that from the street lights. The sounds of the High Street were loud and close. I’m not used too living in a noisy area. I lived in a suburban area my entire life. Most people would be afraid to do anything but that’s not me, I was too numb to do anything else so as soon as I finished making the bed, I kicked off my shoes and climbed into the bed. I had a picture of Peasnie on my nightstand along with the cell phone I was given. I could feel the tears swelling up in my eyes as I sat there looking at the picture, it was just after 10 at night. And I’m mentally, emotionally and physically exhausted. I didn’t bother wiping the tears away; I just let them fall because I was missing her that much. The picture was so nice and sweet. It was of the pair of us sitting at the beach in the summer. She and I sat on the towel in our bathing suits. I wore a pair of red and black shorts while she wore a Little Mermaid one piece. She sat on my lap while my arms were laced around her tightly. God, seeing that smile she wore made my heart ache. I let a few tears slide down my cheeks as I stared at the picture.

“Good-Night baby.” I spoke to no one but the picture that stood on the nightstand. I think I managed to get some sleep but probably an hour later I was woken up by my cell phone. My eyes wandered the unfamiliar room tiredly as car lights fluttered through the window. My tired body managed to fly over to the nightstand and pick up the phone. I pressed ‘answer’ and pulled it to my ear.

“Hello?” I groaned loudly.

“Jimmy, sorry to bother you so late.” I heard my mom stammer from the other end of the phone.

“Mom? What’s wrong?” I asked tiredly. She laughed lightly and sighed.

“Someone needs to talk to you.” She said then there was ruffling from her end of the phone, it sounded like movement. I remained in my bed tiredly laying there

“Daddy?” I heard Peasnie speak softly. I shot up like a bottle rocket at the sound of her voice.

“Peasnie, honey, what’s wrong?” I asked curiously. “-You should be in bed.” I added with a fatherly tone. She sniffled from the other end of the phone.

“Daddy, I had a bad dream.” She whimpered at me. My heart sank in an instant, she had a bad dream and I wasn’t there to comfort her. I forced a smile as I stood up from the bed, making my way over to the window.

“What was it about?” I ask. She sniffled again like the child she is.

“Th-the a-angles ca-came an-and took you away from me-he.” She sobbed heavily. I frowned at what she just told me. The angles came and took me away; did she really just say that? There’s no way she could’ve just said that. I frowned even more and looked at the night sky before the idea came into my head.

“Honey, go to the window and look at the night sky.” I directed her with a gentle tone. I heard her move and breathe as she went to the window.

“Okay, now what?” She asked curiously. I smiled and crackled at her reply.

“Do you see the biggest, brightest star in the sky?” I asked.

“Yeah . . .” She drew the word out curiously.

“Reach out and grab it.” I told her as my eyes saw the bright star in the night sky. She giggled.

“Okay, I got it.” She played along to the make-believe. I smiled widely at her voice.

“Now quickly pull it into your heart.” My voice was steady and happy. She giggled again and I heard her grunt as her fist hit her chest.

“That star will protect the both of us, it’s in your heart so if you have bad dreams again wish for me to be there and I’ll be there in your dreams to fight away the bad.” I told her with a cheerful voice.

“Thank you daddy, I love you.” Her kind words made me smile even wider as I moved away from the window and back to the bed. I sat on the bed tiredly.

“Daddy, can you tell me a story?” She asked softly. I chuckled at her request and nodded. I found it quit amusing that not even eight hours ago, she hated my guts and now she’s asking for me to read her a bedtime story.

“Okay but you need to get tucked into bed.” I told her with a gentle tone. I could hear her moving around in the bed and ruffling of her blankets.

“Is it okay if I sleep in your room?” She questioned. I smiled at the fluttering feeling inside my heart right now.

“Yes, honey, you can sleep in daddy’s room.” I whispered again. It’s funny how this morning I was telling her she wasn’t allowed to sleep in there anymore but now I’m saying its okay. She squealed happily and sighed heavily as she settled down into my bed, my old bed. I went down the bedtime list, Snow-Flake(the polar teddy bear), blankey (her baby blanket), a cup of water, her flash light and the ‘magic water’ that gets rid of monsters. I smiled and began to tell her the story I’ve been telling her ever since she was little. I dragged the story on a little bit more than I usually do. When I was finished she sounded so sleepy it made me smile.

“I love you too baby, now go back to sleep. I’ll see you tomorrow after lunch.” I told her happily. I blew a kiss through the phone for her and she did the same.

“Night-night Daddy, I love you.” She whispered to me tiredly. I smiled and blew her another kiss before she hung up the phone and I did the same. A smile kept my face as I went back to bed still feeling bad but I felt better hearing her voice. I looked back over to the picture and smiled widely.

“The angles won’t get me this time.”