Chapter 17: Father of the Bohemian Voice.

I’ve been home for three days and it’s been torture not to be able to see Peasnie. I haven’t seen her in ages and now I have to wait even longer. This sucks. For the past three days I’ve been relaxing; okay I’ve been telling the girls I’ve been relaxing when really I’ve been freaking out over everything. Peasnie’s got two male friends, she’s the top of her class which is ridiculous; I mean like it’s kindergarten for God’s sake. What can she write her name perfectly without writing a letter backwards? Either way I’m proud of her for doing her best and being her best since I’ve been gone. I’ve missed alot. I missed her getting a certificate from the school for showing great bravery and leadership. I missed her first Halloween with friends. I was told she dressed up as a gypsy for Halloween. Bailey sent me a picture via email, she was adorable since all the girls were gypsies and they were well dressed for the part. Let me tell you, Peasnie could be a gypsy. With her ivy complexion she can wear any colour. She wore a orange and purple satin dress with an orange/golden bandana. Since she has her ear pierced she wore gold hoop earrings and they even did her makeup like a gypsy. I missed Thanksgiving and her Thanksgiving concert which she had a role in as an Indian. Bailey took pictures of that for me. I missed her getting another award from the school and then a proper plaque from the ‘yes I can’ awards she went to for inspiring youths. I missed her Christmas concert and her first parent teacher conference. God I can’t wait to be home.  

Anyways it’s Christmas Day and I’ve been told that last night Peasnie was pretty bummed when the guys were there and I wasn’t. But as soon as Santa ‘my dad’ got there she cheered up a little bit and my predictions were correct, I was the only thing she asked for from Santa. I feel special. I remember her first Christmas ever. That was a good day.  We woke up to Katrina and the Waves and danced in my room before I went and made breakfast for us. It was an overall good day because she was at the age where she loved ripping paper so that added to the excitement.

So here I am sitting in a car in the sun in a 7eleven parking lot wearing a black hoodie and black jeans with a huge duffle bag of presents in the back for Peasnie. I am dying of heat waiting for Jason Berry. Bailey called me saying she was really upset when she woke up and there were no presents under the tree for her. But she cheered up when they made snowman pancakes. Jason came back into his beater van and sighed heavily with a slurpee in his hands. The bastard, he got a slurpee and didn’t offer to get me one?! How rude. He smiled as he pulled from the vacant parking lot and headed towards the suburbs.

“Excited to see them?” He asked trying to make conversation. I felt my lips pull back uncontrollably as I tipped my head back against the back of the seat.

“You have no idea.” I replied with a flat tone. From the sound of it, it doesn’t sound like I’m that excited but trust me my stomach is doing flips and my heart is beating a million beats a minute. Jason and Peasnie are good friends; she’s friends with both the Berry’s. Hell she’s friends with just about everybody. 

“Did you tell her you’re leaving again for the UK this summer?” He asked curiously about something that just came up. Yes we’re going to the UK in the summer to tour. I smiled widely and looked at him.

“I fully intend on bringing her with me.” I told him truthfully. I wanted to bring her with me so she can get some other cultures and have the experiences that I never had as a kid.

“I hear she’s taken to being the voice of the people.” He told me. What? What the hell is he talking about? It doesn’t surprise me though; she can be the voice of the people. She can be the voice that people listen too. A smile spread across my face as I shook my head.

“I didn’t know that but she can be the voice of the people.” I told him truthfully. He nodded and smiled.

“Maybe she’ll be the voice people will listen too.” He suggested. He was right. Even if it’s a few people her voice will be heard. A single tiny voice that is true can be heard over a stadium of lies. I’ve always told Peasnie to say kind things to people even if they don’t deserve it. I tell her that because a simple act of kindness can change the future of someone’s life.