Chapter 48: Happy Birthday, I'm spying on You!

Chapter 48: Happy Birthday, I’m spying on you!

With the family gathered around the living room Peasnie enjoyed opening her presents. Everybody was here for her twelfth birthday. Peasnie was extremely excited for making that bloggers account today but it hasn’t been done yet. She already has her user name and everything picked out; she has pictures ready for her profile and info as well. I, of course made sure everything was appropriate. And it is.

Matt and Val got her some new clothes, Brian and Michelle got her a basket of cosmetics, Zack and Gena got her something called wall art; it’s like a static cling on thing that goes on the wall. Johnny got her some caps. Bailey, Kier and I got her some CDs and that account but I got her something just from me.

She sat on the lounge chair opening her gifts happily while Bailey sat on the arm of the couch beside me; Kier was sitting beside her on the floor. Peasnie had her blonde hair tied back into a pony tail while she wore a pair of loose jeans and a tee shirt. How is it somebody who can be so small and vulnerable turn into someone so mature and intelligent? Peasnie’s grown up; even at twelve. I felt old saying that she’s twelve; it also reminds me that I only have two years left. I know that I’ve changed her life; hopefully for the better.

I smiled at Bailey as Peasnie finally got to the present I bought her yesterday. I was really excited for her to find out what I got her when I got home from the studio. I had butterflies in my stomach as she examined the box carefully. Her eye brows knitted together carefully as she studies the diva styled zebra printed wrapping paper.

“What it is?” She asked me curiously. I shook my head and smirked cheekily.

“Unwrap it and find out.” I instructed her. She did so, throwing the wrapping paper onto Kier jokingly. He scuffed at her as he pulled the paper off of his head; his blonde hair sticking out everywhere. Peasnie’s eyes widened as she looked at the box, her jaw scraped the floor. I couldn’t help but chuckle at her reaction to the laptop I got her. It’s just an HP mini. But she still loved it.

“Is it real?” Peasnie asked in disbelief.

“Yes.” I replied honestly. Peasnie’s eyes were still wide but she looked suspicious about the fact that yesterday I didn’t even trust her with a Bloggers’ account and today I’m giving her, her own lap top. Kier’s eyes were wide with jealousy and his jaw hung down.

“There has to be some terms and conditions that come with this.” Kier stated truthfully. Peasnie nodded as if she were agreeing with Kier’s statement. I sucked in a deep breath and nodded.

“Yes there are a few rules.” I began sullenly. The hope in her eyes died. “-No inappropriate sites, messages or pictures. No giving out your personal information. No talking to strangers,”

“And you have to share with me.” Kier added that one to the list cheekily. Peasnie gave him the stink eye and shook her head, mouthing the word ‘no’. Kier sank into himself and pouted.

“Peasnie, I’m trusting you to be responsible and use it for good.” I told her with a stern voice. She nodded and smiled at me.

“And if this starts affecting your grades then it’ll be taken away.” Bailey added to the ‘terms and conditions’ list. I nodded in agreement. Peasnie gave me a quizzical expression as she sat there studying the box.

“Did Bailey whack you in the head while you were asleep or what?” She questioned with a questionable tone. Everyone laughed happily at that remark and shook their heads, including me.

“How do you mean by that?” I asked. Peasnie shook her head at me and gave me a blank expression.

“Dad you don’t trust me.” She said very matter-of-factly and that hurt. I do trust her but I don’t want her growing up, not yet. It’s a hard reminder that I do only have two years left and hopefully I’ve changed my future so that instead of two years I get more. I want to live and make sure Peasnie is well looked after because she is always going to be my baby and I need to protect her.

“I do too.” I protested against her statement.

“Dad, you still make me hold your hand when we’re in public because you’re worried I’ll wander off.” She stated something that is somewhat true. I kept my mouth shut because I wasn’t going to win this, there’s no way I’ll win this. Peasnie’s eyes found mine with a large goofy grin as she got up from the chair, lap top box in hand.

“I’m gonna go set it up.” She declared as she happily skipped to the stairs, Kier went to follow.

“I’ll help.” He offered. She turned to him and growled.

“You touch, you die.” She warned him. Kier wasn’t going to risk it so he just sat in Peasnie’s chair and pouted at me.

“It sucks being seven.” He muttered with crossed arms.

“Don’t worry Kier, this just means you get more time on the desktop.” Bailey reassured him truthfully but not so truthfully considering Bailey is starting a business and she helps Zack and Brian with theirs so she’ll need to use the computer more. The guys gave me a concerned expression as if they were questioning my sanity. I was questioning my sanity. How could I give a twelve year old a laptop? I felt Bailey put her hand on my forehead to check my temperature.

“No, he’s not sick.” She stated flatly.

“Jimmy, are you okay?” Matt asked curiously. I nodded in reply which only left more questions than answers for them.

“Yesterday you didn’t even trust her with her own phone and today you give her a laptop and social networking site account? Are you sure you’re okay?” Bailey asked matter-of-factly. I bit my lip and nodded in agreement. She’s right I did do that but I was fine because I’ll know if Peasnie will be doing appropriate things on that Blog. I’ll know because I made a fake account and I’ll add her to keep an eye on her. I know, I know. I’m technically not trusting her but she is only twelve so I need to keep an eye on her.

After everybody left that evening I decided to go upstairs to my office where I have my own computer strictly used for work. I made sure Kier was in bed and Peasnie; well we all know what she was doing. Bailey was downstairs talking with her sister. I helped Peasnie transfer the file that was under her name on the desktop onto her laptop. It had all her music, pictures, videos and writing in it so we got that done rather quickly.

I sat behind my computer and instantly logged into that fake account that I made. I made sure it was a boy about a year older than Peasnie; I just used a picture that a fan sent us of him. I made sure he was from Orange County but not exactly near us. I basically made myself appealing to her. Liam Prescott, age 14, male (obviously)

I logged on and instantly typed in Peasnie’s name, immediately getting her page considering there can only be one Peasnie Ann Sullivan. I loved the fact that she used a picture of me and her together as her profile picture. It was one from last year when we made the video to Bat Country. Kier was too little and immature to come so it was just Peasnie. She already posted almost all of her pictures, a couple poems and songs, some videos and she already is friends with pretty much everybody she goes to school with. She’s only had this account for a couple hours. She’s little Miss Popular.