Chapter 5: The Date. part 2.

Chapter 5: The Date. Part 2.

I sat at the ocean view table on the balcony of the Grey Gull; the balcony had a view of the mile long beaches that were filled with star dust like sand that glowed in the orange evening sun. We were the only people on the balcony since its Friday evening mostly everyone is downstairs in the bar and on the downstairs balcony. The sky was stripped with various colours; most of the sky behind us was a deepening blue that became lighter as it got closer to the sun, it turned into purple then a purplish-red, then red going into orange then finally on the horizon it was yellow. The water danced below, it sang its rhythmic song as it pranced onto the shore before fleeing. The air was overly warm but it was cooling.

This was certainly not panning out how I wanted. I just wanted this to be a nice evening where we can talk and eat and maybe go for a quick stroll. But no-oh it just had to be made out into a romantic evening. Not what I wanted, now I’m giving and receiving mixed signals!

“Jimmy,” She said my name in a sweet but hushed voice. I looked over at her with butterflies in my stomach; her golden-bronze eyes caressed me as she wore a grim expression on her face. I’ve never seen her wear a grim expression before.

“This is nice and all but why did you bring me here?” She asked. I nervously chuckled.

“What do you mean?” My voice sounded hasty and overwhelmed with nerves. She smiled faintly, from the corners of her mouth, she shook her head and dropped her gaze to the table before looking at the ocean view we had.

“You and your friends have bullied me every day since fifth grade. Then you bump into me randomly in the grocery store and you want to be buddy-buddy. Why?” She asked, her fiery gaze spotted back to me. I could tell she was tired, she just wanted to be at peace but she’s too much of a fighter to give up. My eyes fell from hers to her arms which were covered in scars and deep red lines that were new, not even a week old. She pulled her hands up her arms as if she was chilled. I met her gaze again, our gazes locked into place as I wore a stupid expression on my face.

“You think you caused these?” She questioned. I nodded. Bailey pulled her arms from the table and hid them in the bend of her abdomen. She shook her head.

“You didn’t. Your friends didn’t. Nobody did.”

“Then what are they from?” I ask.

She smiles forcefully and shakes her head with tears in her eyes. “A battle.” She remarked.

“Against whom?” I asked in a quiet, shy type of voice. Bailey had tears running down her face which broke my heart into pieces. I’ve never seen someone in this much pain; it’s heartbreaking. Her eyes found mine, she tried not to sob sadly but it wasn’t working. They came out in little whimpers. Bailey pulled herself together in the blink of an eye and stared at me with pain ridden eyes.

“Myself.” It came out in a sigh. I swallow hard and hold my arm cross the table, my open palm facing upwards. Bailey stared at it for a moment before locking gazes with me. I force a smile, a kind and gentle smile.

“You don’t need to fight alone.” I told her which caused her to break out into tears all over again. Oh-no! What’d I do?!! She smiled at me as I sat there nervously, freaking out over the fact that I just made her cry. How did I manage that?! I was just trying to be nice. Bailey lifted her hand and placed it into mine gently, I cupped it loose enough she could still pull away but tight enough to make my touch known. I stroked the back of her hand with my thumb and smiled softly.

“You never did answer me.” She stated the truth. I chuckled and shook my head.

“When I bumped into you in the store and you were kind to me even after everything I’ve done to you and I saw how you interacted with my daughter and how much she loved you. I knew that having someone like you in my life would make it easier, on both of us. Peasnie adores you, she listens to you. Let’s just face it; I need you and you need me.” I told her with a hardy tone. She blushed and smiled widely. It’s the truth; Peasnie listens to Bailey. Bailey told Peasnie to be good for daddy when she left us at the store and the entire day Peasnie never once misbehaved. It’s amazing. She furrowed her thin dark eye brows and smiled wearily at me.